From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Acquisition: Gaps in chart.

Solved!
Go to solution

So I was a bit puzzled to see a gap in my graph.

I made a simple DAQ using DAQ assistant in a while loop to acquire 4 Analog Voltages.

Settings as shown:

DAQ settings.JPGGap.JPG

And in red it shows a gap.

When I use N+1 sample then the gap is gone.

Clearly taking example of N=10

So if the DAQ starts at time 0 ms, then it acquires 10 samples at time 9ms, so there is a gap between 9 ms and 10 ms.

Now if I connect the data to a chart, there is clearly gaps between the acquired measurements. If I change to continuous mode, then the gaps are gone in my chart.

Now if I add N+1, this means am now taking n+1 measurements.

Am not sure how to deal with this.

Any tips and advice?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,651 Views)

What exactly is the task you are trying to accomplish?  I am not understanding what your problem is or if you even have one.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,643 Views)

I have been trying to understand the issue myself.

So this is what I observe with Acquisition mode: N sample, 50 samples, Rate 1000 Hz. Clearly there are gaps in my chart. When I switch to continuous the gaps are gone. Also now I see that the N+1 is not necessary. So are these gaps appearing due to the delay in the loop? There are no timers in that loop: just a simple DAQ assistant in a while loop.

N Sample.JPG

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,635 Views)

Your image does not show any gap, just the end of the trace at the sample with index # 49 (0..49 is 50 samples, nothing wrong with that. If you don't want the scale to go the the next round number, set the x-axis to not "loose fit")

You talk about charts. Do you have a graph or a chart and do you know the difference?

Can you attach your VI?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,631 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author rajiv85

If you want a continuous signal then you should acquire continuously.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,628 Views)

It is a simple DAQ. Yes I know the difference between a chart and graph. The graph will take only measurement from one loop while the chart adds all the measurements as long as the loop is running.

In the end, I just want to confirm that I should be using continuous mode rather than N sample? As am getting continuous gaps in my chart with N sample as shown above.

Simple DAQ.JPG

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,627 Views)

Thanks for the tip about loose fit!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,623 Views)