LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DaqMX Base + Touch Panel + USB read device serial number

I want my touch panels to confirm the usb device they are connected with. I figure the best way was to read the device serial number. 

I am using

TPC 2106

USB-6008 (daqmx base firmware)  identified as "Dev6" on touch pannel

DaqMX Base

Using the attached code I try reading the usb-serail number, and I get the following error: -1073807343

Error Out:   -1073807343    "VisaOpen"

Error Out:   -1073807343    "VisaGetProperties"

I read on a forum (HERE) that a possible fix on pc's is to use lower level name than "Dev6" to identify the device. Not sure what that would be as these device names are hard coded into the DaqMX Base drivers.

Any Ideas?

Thank you,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,520 Views)

I not sure about the DaqMX Base but even the Daq Base should report the device serial number.

DAQmx SerialNumber.png

Omar
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,512 Views)

Thank you for the help,

I cannot seem to find that setting for a DAQmx Base.

As my device has to have the base firmware to run on the touch pannel.

I believe the method I posted earlier is the correct one, but there seems to be trouble with taping into the USB communication line to read the serial number.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,503 Views)

Hi Laptopolus.

It seems that the error you are experiencing has something to do with not supplying a valid resource name to the VISA Open call.   While the precise reason you are seeing this error with your code is not entirely clear, based on what you are trying to achieve here, I would recommend taking a look at the VISA Find Resource vi.  A basic example of its use can be found at the link below in case you are unfamiliar with it.

VISA: List All VISA Devices

http://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-2175 

Hope this helps some.

Michael G

Michael G.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Self-realization: I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,475 Views)

Question: are you or are you not using DAQmx Base to communicate with your Dev6 when you take measurements?

Or are you using VISA to get your measurements?

On my system, devices that I have configured for DAQmx function calls do not respond to VISA function calls.

I may be wrong about DAQmx Base, but I still believe you will need to use DAQmx function calls to communicate with your DAQmx device and not VISA.

I do not believe VISA will reconize your DAQmx referance and will return an error if you try to use a DAQmx device ref with a VISA function.

ActiveDevice.PNG

Omar
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,467 Views)