LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSM can't view shared variables from other PC's

I am running NI Distributed System Mananger 2009 on a Windows 7 PC and also on two Window's XP machines however I cannot see the shared variable libraries that are deployed on any of the remote machines. This applies from between the XP machines as well as between the Windows 7 and XP machines, viewing the localhost and Network items show the locally deployed shared variables (and they are online) for each machine. However if I use "Register Computer" to add a remote machine the computer appears but no processes appear (even though they show up when using the local copy of DSM 2009).

Note that the main reason for using DSM is to access the remote machines shared variables is to verify that the shared variables are working across machines (they don't - except for when I need to

access a remote realtime system in which case they work fine). 

If anyone has an idea of what might be the problem or how I can troubleshoot the problem that would be greatly appreciated.

thankyou

Andrew

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,379 Views)

I've no problem monitoring or control remote SVE's. I suppose a Firewall issue i.e. a blocked NI service or TCP/IP port or missing components due to a customized installation

br Christian

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,372 Views)

thanks Christian,

I have a full installation and the firewall doesn't block the NI components (for two systems I have it disabled), are you using your SVE's on windows XP or windows 7 pcs?

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,369 Views)

I just made a fresh 2010SP1-Runtime installation with NI-RIO3.6 and DSM2010 on a Win7Ult64 machine and it works perfect.

So I tested WinXP-XP(FW disabled) and Win7-WinXP(FW disabled) but for the WinXP(FW disabled)-Win7 connection I had to disable the Win7 firewall.

Hope it helps

Christian

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,366 Views)

Hi Christian,

ok I've disabled my Firewall and my internet security and that works, thanks for that. What network protection do you use (I need to maintain some internet security).

thanks for your help.

Andrew

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,349 Views)

Hi Andrew,

I'm behind the company firewall. I don't care about Internet security, because it's not my job.

For personal use I prefer ZoneAlarm because it's easy to control traffic in both directions. It reports all NI connection requests i.e. lkads.exe which is part of Logos.

Shared Variables with Firewalls

Glad you solved it !

Christian

Message 6 of 6
(3,344 Views)