From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSC Security

Hi everyone 🙂 excuse someone who has an example about DSC Security? I'm doing a program where I want the user before start the program login, someone have experience with it? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,719 Views)

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3322/en/

Following that guide should take care of your questions.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,701 Views)

I've used it and it works pretty well.

My opinion is to use Windows security as a first recommendation.  Using the command line you can query the privlages of the logged in user.  So I can tell the customers IT department to have a group for allowing features of the software (or this can be locally setup).  Then if user X logs in, who is part of the appropriate group, then my software enables some features and if they login as another in another groupu, other features are enabled.

Some customers like this some don't.  If their company is structured in a way where each user has a login it is convient.  If they don't and all users use the same login it can be seen as a pain to have to login and out.  Of course the benefit of using domain control is pass word expiring, and rules for the passwords can be controlled by IT.

For customers who want a single login, I usually try DSC.  I'd rather not be responsible for maintaining passwords, and security.  Relying on DSC makes it nice and easy to just query the logged in user.

That being said DSC is not free, and there is a run time cost.  Meaning you pay for the development toolkit, and make code using it.  Then when you make an EXE and put it on a new PC, you need to pay the license to allow those features to work.  Currently it looks like it is $800 per run-time license.  Still worth it in my opinion.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,601 Views)