LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAQmx 20.0.0 on Windows 7 won't install

Solved!
Go to solution

I have an old i5 computer with Win 7, unknown update status.  It's offline.  It had LV 2017.  All the NI software has been removed using the NI installer package. 

While installing LV2020, the installer gets to DAQmx and stalls.  

A dialog asks if I want to install a NI Data Acquisition device.  I press Install, and the progress window indicates it is installing DAQmx MIO 64 bit 20.0.0 (which I need).  

After about 20 seconds the same dialog pops up, and it's lather, rinse, repeat.  

I tried restarting the LV installer and deselecting everything except DAQmx.  Same thing, it just gets there quicker.  

FWIW the source for the installer is an iso I have loaded on the hard drive, with it mounted as a virtual drive.  I have done this before on other computers and it worked fine.  

The fix may be to upgrade to Win 10, but if there is an easy fix for Win 7 I will take it.  

Thanks 

Ed K

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(802 Views)

According to LabVIEW's "Compatibility" charts, LabVIEW 2020 SP1 is the last version to support Windows 7.

From your Post, I gather you are installing LabVIEW 2020 64-bit.  Do you need 64-bit LabVIEW?

Over the years that I've been installing LabVIEW on my own and colleagues' computers, I've always installed in multiple passes:  LabVIEW (without drivers and minimal "extras"), reboot, Modules and Toolkits (trying to avoid drivers, and only "extras" that are relevant), reboot, and finally Drivers (that NIPM hasn't already "force-installed" on me, along with the necessary "extras").  If you want to "try again", doing a "triple-install" might be an improvement, but NIPM still seems to be a rigid and problematic installer, IMHO.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(783 Views)

No, the installer claims I am installing LV 32-bit.  Why is the DAQmx installer trying to install 64-bit drivers?  Interesting.  

I will try the three-pass install method.  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(751 Views)

@AndyTailored wrote:

No, the installer claims I am installing LV 32-bit.  Why is the DAQmx installer trying to install 64-bit drivers?  Interesting.  

I will try the three-pass install method.

All I can say is "NIPM Giveth, and NIPM Taketh Away".  It took me about two years to get a stable method of installing multiple LabVIEW versions (because some of my collaborators were using pre-NIPM versions, such as LabVIEW 2015 or 2016) before I learned "the tricks" of installing in the NIPM era, and there are still situations where "the logical method just doesn't work, by design").  My guess is that until NI gets all of its Drivers to work as 64-bit (and as 32-bit OSes disappear), the "real Driver" is the 64-bit version (which will work with 64-bit Windows 10) and the 32-bit code provides "hooks" for those who install (as I do) 32-bit LabVIEW.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(740 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author AndyTailored

DAQmx stubbornly refused to get installed.  So I took my offline computer and put it online, and did a Windows 10 upgrade.  Which was an adventure itself, with registry edits.  

Now DAQmx is happy.  Rabbit was not too happy, and I needed to insert an environment variable, which is a known problem with some processors.  So maybe it was a hardware issue, and Win 10 is taking care of it.  But all is well now.  

Thanks for the advice.  

Ed K

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(690 Views)