LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAQ 6009

Hey! I am very confused with my project.

It involves Writing a software package in Labview to allow continuous download of serial data from a Philips Intellivue anaesthesia monitor. So far i have thought to use DAQ 6009 between the monitor and PC. Thats where I'm confused, I want to know if I can take the digital output from RS232(of the patient monitor) , convert it to analog using DAQ and connect it to the USB of the PC. If this conversion is possible do I need to program the DAQ ?? If yes how do I program, I mean I can just see USB microcontroller on the data sheets of the DAQ, but not its actual specifications.

Please Help me out with this. I thank you for your help in advance.     

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(4,811 Views)

No, you cannot use the 6009. Buy a $10 USB-RS232 adapter if your pc does not have any serial ports.

When you have this, do a little research on RS-232 communication (probably should have done this already) and then look at the shipping examples of serial communication.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(4,809 Views)

Dear Dennis,

Thanks for your reply. But I have a question that how am I going to acquire the signals in Lab View, since I have to write the software package to display (the display is analog waves from the monitor) in lab view.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(4,801 Views)

You use functions in LabVIEW (as in the examples I mentioned that apparently you have not looked at yet) to read the data that the instrument is sending. How you convert this data to numerics, graphs, whatever, will depend on how the instrument encodes the data. It could be ASCII, hex, anything. You will have to read the instrument manual.

You should look over the information on the Instrument Control Fundamentals tutorial.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(4,796 Views)

Hey I have done the connection using USB converter but now i need help with LabView, since i have never used it before. what kind of software will i need to allow us to download serial data from the Intellivue Monitor to PC. Is there any sample code i can get, which can help me. Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(4,709 Views)

Besides LabVIEW, you need to install the NI-VISA driver. This is on the driver DVD that comes with LabVIEW or you can download it.

Open the example finder in LabVIEW and do a search for serial. There are also literally thousands of posts on the subject. Search and look at some of them.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(4,699 Views)

Hey I just wanna know how can I display 2 waves coming from serial port on LabView at the same time??? Can I get written material about Labview functions???

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(4,639 Views)

Hey, that is totally dependent on how the instrument sends the data. You would need to attach the manual or at least provide a link.

Books. You can search the board for recomendations.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(4,634 Views)

Hi Dennis, 1st of all thank you so much for your replies they have been quite helpful. Now I am having problem; that I have 3 signals coming in from the serial (RS232) port at sametime, how do I display them on different graphs??

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(4,594 Views)

You are going to have to explain in some detail by what you mean at the same time since the data is, after all serial. Is the data from the different channels interleaved somehow and is that what you are calling at the same time?

I asked for a manual or a link. You haven't even provided the make and model. Since there is absolutely no standard method os serial data, providing this information is essential. I'm not at all inclined to play endless guessing games.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(4,586 Views)