LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom shortcut menu items for project window

I want to add custom functionality to the LabView editor that will allow me to perform customized actions on items in a project.  I hope to have this functionality accessed through custom menu items that are added to the shortcut menu for the project items.

There are various functions that I want to implement, but one simple example is creating a new VI for override.  The standard LabView behavior when creating a new VI for override is to create a VI with the same connector pane as the VI being overriden and placing a Call Parent Method node on the block diagram.  Instead of this, I want the newly created VI to have a wired case structure, but no Call Parent Method node.  I want to right click on the class to add the new VI to, and then select a custom menu item that will execute the new functionality to create the new VI.

I have identified several options that almost do what I want, but not quite:

1. Add a VI with the desired functionality and add it to the tools menu.  Select the project item to be acted on and then select the custom VI from the tools menu.  This will work, but requires more clicks than I want.
  2. Add the custom VI to the quick drop shortcuts.  Select the project item and then activate the quick drop shortcut.  I haven't verified that this will work, but I expect that it should.  This is still more clicks than I really want.
  3. Use a shortcut menu plug-in.  This is more like the user experience that I am aiming for, but sadly, it appears that this will not work.  This only works when right clicking on front panel or block diagram items, not items in the project explorer.
  4. Add the functionality using a project provider.  This looks like it may work, but looks a bit complicated.  I just started perusing the documentation regarding project providers and it looks like setting this up requires getting a digital signature from NI, and is not really supported by NI.

Does anyone know if there is a relatively straight forward way to do what I am wanting to do?  I was hoping for something like shortcut menu plug-ins, but that will work with project items.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(757 Views)

Try messing with "C:\ ... \National Instruments\LabVIEW 20xx\resource\Framework\Providers\LVClassLibrary\NewAccessors\BaseAccessorScripter\Custom User Scripting For New Simple Accessor VI.vi"

or maybe this will work for you:https://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361R-01/lvhowto/shortcutmenuplugins_intro/

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(694 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(439 Views)