LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom probe problem

I am learning about custom probes.  I try my custom boolean array probe and the built in conditional double array probe.

They become the default probe for that wire type, but show empty arrays.  Sort of like probing a wire that is not in the current data flow state.

Any ideas, I must be missing something.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,434 Views)

More info: using version 7.1

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,428 Views)

Hello Randy!

I tried to recreate your problem in a later version of LabVIEW but it seemed to work normally for me.  Have you used the highlight execution and retain wire values functionality to confirm what kind of data your probes are receiving? Have you tried creating the same custom probes in a later version of LabVIEW?

Michael B.
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,397 Views)

I made some progress on this earlier.

It seems that when you hit a breakpoint, you cannot probe the wire and get the values.

If you leave the probe open and hit the breakpoint again, then the values appear.

So it looks like the probe has to be in place before the breakpoint is hit for it to work.

Also what do you mean by "retain wire values functionality"?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,391 Views)

I'm glad you made progress!  The custom probes are incredibly useful.

I was referring to the "retain wire values" button which is right next to the highlight execution button on the block diagram. I'm not sure though if that button existed in version 7.1.  It will basically just display the values on wires on the block diagram as a VI runs.  It's a helpful debugging tool.

Michael B.
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,383 Views)