From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cross-compiling for other platforms

My first few attempts to build a standalone application (LabVIEW 2010 / Mac) have ended in failure (lack of write permissions). A build directory gets made, all the dependent VIs are imported and the build goes on for a long time, but at the last moment, it fails with a permissions problem. My drivers are installed in the /Applications folder and are (presumably) owned by root. The build directory is owned by me. Any ideas where I should start looking ?

Further, I want to deploy this application for a few Windows users who do not have LabVIEW. How does one cross-compile ?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,076 Views)

Can't help you with the first.

As for the second, you cannot cross-compile. You'd need the Windows version installed on a Windows OS and you'd need to recompile on there.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,074 Views)

Thanks for the response.

Makes the application builder pretty useless then.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,054 Views)

@m-s wrote:

Thanks for the response.

Makes the application builder pretty useless then.

Based on what? Would you say the same thing about, say, Microsoft's compilers? Which can't create an application for Macs. Or Linux machines?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,052 Views)

A few points:

Microsoft's compilers (taking Visual C++ for instance) make no pretensions about being cross-platform applications (such as LabVIEW).

Linux/Mac gcc have been cross-compilers for about as long as I can remember.

A feature like application builder should logically contain (since LabVIEW is a cross platform product) methods for a developer to compile for other platforms. The code is totally portable. The generated application can't be targetted to be portable. Seems like a lacuna to me.

Followup question - can I use the evaluation version for windows to generate the application ? I could use a virtual machine running XP.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,023 Views)

The evaluation version will create an executable, but it will have a watermark on the front panel.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,017 Views)

Ok. Other than the watermark, will the executable be limited in any way ?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,951 Views)

Not as far as the built application it shouldn't. The Application Builder does not allow use of "Additional Exclusions" in the evaluation version. You can read more here: Limitations of the LabVIEW Evaluation Version.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,944 Views)

Agree that it would be really handy if a cross-platformish LabVIEW also would compile (and pack) projects for Mac and Linux. I'm developing for all kinds of customers, regardless of their OS preferences. Anyone NI-staff or responsible or in power who would like to comment on that?

/Joshua

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,840 Views)

You should post this to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. And remember, the compiler is not the app builder. The compiler is the development environment.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,832 Views)