LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating shared .dll libraries

Hello all,

First, I apologize for my ignorance but I am brand new to Labview. I have some Matlab experience but I am completely new at this. What I would like to do seems pretty simple but I just can't get it without a little help. I created a very basic .vi that displays my mouse cursor position though the mouse info sub vi. I believe that's what it's called. From this I have my x and y values for the cursor position. I would like to run this vi continuously while streaming the data over to matlab for analysis, processing, and synching with other data acquisitions. For now, I would just like to get labview to stream out the x and y values so that they can be read into matlab. I have read the LabView help file on "Building a Shared Library" but something does not seem quite right. When I finally tell Labview to "build" the shared library, it appears to do so before I actually run my vi. I've tried to open the .dll file using notepad to see if it was indeed a text based format that could be read in Matlab, but it did not appear to be. I must be doing something wrong. Does anyone know of a good tutorial on creating a .dll? Also, how do I specify what values (in my case the x and y position) I want to have exported to the shared library?

Thanks for any help you can provide,

FB 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,368 Views)

Hi Fishbulb,

The .dll is not going to be a text based file that you will be able to open in Notepad.  To build the .dll I would suggest taking a look at the LabVIEW Help (you may already have).  You will have to define the inputs and outputs in the Prototype section discussed in number five.  You will have to know how to call the .dll in Matlab as it is a third party program and I am not familiar with it.  Also to run a LabVIEW .dll you will need to have the LabVIEW Run-Time Engine that matches the version of LabVIEW you are using. 

Message Edited by Adam_H on 10-30-2008 03:23 PM
Adam H
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,350 Views)