From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating code for pic32 with Code Generator and 3dmicro toolkit

Hello,

I have a PIC32MX here and I take programming with LabView into consideration.

As far as I have understood this can be achieved with LabView C Generator. On the page it says that this can be used for 32bit microcontrollers.

So what is 3dmicro toolkit, how does it extends the C Generator (because as I see it cannot be used without it)?

Has anyone experiences with this tools?

Please forgive me when I'm wrong here.

Everything is possible - except from the impossible.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,954 Views)

I don't think this will work. Microcontroller support is only for the ARM processors that the Keil toolkit works with.

Additionally, I don't think any of the LabVIEW drivers are available for the PIC32MX so you'd be very limited in what functions can actually be built into C.

I don't have any personal experience with this though. You'll probably get a more direct answer by calling the NI Tech support and speaking with an Application engineer. My hunch will be that they'll tell you it's unsupported and to go talk to Keil.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,922 Views)

You'll have to talk with the guys from 3dMicro directly. They are the best to answer all your questions. My hunch is that it is a neat idea but that lack of interest from the community for that tool has possibly limited the effort they can put into it for further support. One big obstacle is also likely the licensing cost of the LabVIEW C Generator Module, which last time I checked was rather big although in industrial terms not even that extraordinary.

The C Generator simply translates a VI or a hierarchy of VIs in a whole bunch of C++ source files that then can be compiled with the compiler toolchain of your choice. However there needs to be a lot of customization in form of makefiles, help headers with various defines and all that for each specific compiler toolchain which is where supposedly the 3dMicro Toolkit comes into the picture. You could do that all on your own of course but believe me, it's a tedious and painfull job to get this all done for any of the differentt embedded development toolchains. And in the end if you have spent the money for the LabVIEW C Generator, the cost of the 3dMicro Toolkit should really not be the issue Smiley Very Happy 

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,900 Views)