cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a virtual COM port

Solved!
Go to solution

@AeroSoul wrote:

Actually in this case i kinda agree with not changing OG source code, as the test was made to see if negative values (or more precisely calculations with negative values) are supported by the OG application.

I will admit that i also wanted to change the source code but creating a port forwarding was actually easier in the end (despite using third party program)

If the application is even written remotely sensible, the change would have touched maybe one or two VIs only. From your comments it sounds like it must be rather an organically grown monster of software that nobody wants to touch even with a ten foot pole. 😀

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 11 of 14
(922 Views)

@rolfk wrote: From your comments it sounds like it must be rather an organically grown monster of software that nobody wants to touch even with a ten foot pole. 😀

Yeah... pretty much on the nose.

This homegrown gluten free organic free range application has been developed over the years by some students at some institute far away, before being bought by my company (together with the machine).

I was brought in to update it with over 5 years worth of bugs in the backlog.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(903 Views)

@AeroSoul wrote:

@rolfk wrote: From your comments it sounds like it must be rather an organically grown monster of software that nobody wants to touch even with a ten foot pole. 😀

Yeah... pretty much on the nose.

This homegrown gluten free organic free range application has been developed over the years by some students at some institute far away, before being bought by my company (together with the machine).

I was brought in to update it with over 5 years worth of bugs in the backlog.

My heartfelt condolences. 🤔 I do like a challenge but I have seen code like that where I simply said no to it.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(894 Views)

Well it started with "updating" a part of it (aka deleting an old VI and making a new one from scratch, and then somehow connecting it to the rest of code), not bugfixes. 

The funniest thing to me is that there are all these calculations being performed... and they are never used anywhere, because someone down the line decided to use sql server procedures instead.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(891 Views)