Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a Run button

Solved!
Go to solution

@Ben wrote:

I am experiencing De Jevu.

Didn't we live through this nightmare a few weeks ago?

Forget that video and learn how to create a state machine that presents a button that must be pressed before the state machine transitions to an active state.

Ben

OK, you are right 🙂 I didn't see this thread, so sorry.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 20
(653 Views)

@Ben wrote:

I wonder if that thread got deleted?

Ben

I didn't had found that thread 😞

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 20
(653 Views)

Hi pretty,

3. Do I need to a run button when I create an EXE? Is this button important for user interface? (Maybe ,it will make effective front panel?)

4. What happens when I create an EXE?  Will EXE automatically run when I do 'run when opened' in execution option? Is this enough for users?

What happens when you start a standard tool like Chrome, Firefox or Word: do they have/need any "Run button" allowing you to "start" them?

Is it enough for you such software comes without any "run button"???

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 20
(651 Views)

Thank you very much 🙂

@GerdW wrote:

Hi pretty,

3. Do I need to a run button when I create an EXE? Is this button important for user interface? (Maybe ,it will make effective front panel?)

4. What happens when I create an EXE?  Will EXE automatically run when I do 'run when opened' in execution option? Is this enough for users?

What happens when you start a standard tool like Chrome, Firefox or Word: do they have/need any "Run button" allowing you to "start" them?

Thanks all of you 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 20
(649 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Hi pretty,

Actually, I used low level grab functions in my system. There is a problem when I make 'run when opened' in execution system. When I run my system, I get an error. This error occurred at IMAQdx Open Camera.vi.

''Error: IMAQ Camera is not found.''

How can I fix this error? Must I create a run button?

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 20
(646 Views)

@cbutcher wrote:

@Ben wrote:

I am experiencing De Jevu.

Didn't we live through this nightmare a few weeks ago?

Some links to similar posts (I also recall a recent example, but can't seem to find it...):

Adding-Run-Button-to-VI

How-to-start-a-vi-without-using-the-run-button-on-the-top-left (links to first thread)

How-to-create-a-start-button-instead-of-clicking-on-Run

Creating-a-run-button

Most of these suggest the Run when Opened and then a State Machine architecture.

I have much event cases and while cases because of low level grab functions (nested while loop or nested case loop). Can I use state machine again? Does this make my system that is complicated? 

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 20
(637 Views)

Since I don't have the privilege of seeing your code I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you're giving it the wrong address for the camera. You should really take some time and learn about a state machine architecture. I believe that this will help you immensely to achieve your goal.

Edited to add: Your last post came in while I was typing. Yes, you need to get away from much of what it sounds like you are doing. A good architecture is much easier to debug and maintain.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 20
(634 Views)

@johntrich1971 wrote:

Since I don't have the privilege of seeing your code I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you're giving it the wrong address for the camera. You should really take some time and learn about a state machine architecture. I believe that this will help you immensely to achieve your goal.

Edited to add: Your last post came in while I was typing. Yes, you need to get away from much of what it sounds like you are doing. A good architecture is much easier to debug and maintain.

Ok,Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 20
(629 Views)

@prettywoman wrote:
When I run my system, I get an error. This error occurred at IMAQdx Open Camera.vi.

Make sure that all controls have reasonable default values and make sure that certain code does not execute unless certain values have been set.

@prettywoman wrote:
I have much event cases and while cases because of low level grab functions (nested while loop or nested case loop). Can I use state machine again? Does this make my system that is complicated? 

Any state machine is simpler, easier to write, and easier to debug that some monster with deeply nested structures. Your system is only complicated because you apparently wrote it that way. 😄 A state machine will be orders of magnitude less complicated.

(For example, I don't even know what a "case loop" is. It's not in my palettes 🐵

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 20
(614 Views)

I'm a bit confused by this thread now. I thought it was solved, but now it seems to be about a completely different topic (run button -> camera grabs)...

Did two topics get merged? Or did I just lose the thread somewhere?

Spoiler
I was a bit confused when Ben said "Thanks Christian", but I realised after checking the thread and not my email updates that he meant the primary Christian...

Rereading, can you (prettywoman, OP) post any VI you're using? It might make it easier to move forward with suggestions.

We might also be able to suggest some restructuring to aid with the "deeply nested structures".

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 20
(597 Views)