From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Community

Hello NI,

My name is Jerome, and I work with many students and startups to create solutions. 

All I see is these budding engineers working with me will be in wow factor mode to work with NI products. So I thought of creating a community in my place for my people to learn, build, and engineer things ambitiously. 

I'm open to hearing your process in creating a students community. Looking forward for your reply. 

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
(748 Views)

This is an ambitious plan, but you have to first ask yourself a few questions:

- Has your school, university or institution a LabVIEW site license? If you qualify, the educational prices are yearly subscriptions, but substantially discounted, so it should not really be a financial problem. Getting a qualified quote and purchasing order through the current NI system may be however a bigger problem, also depending on where you are in the world.

The Community Edition is fine for your students to install on their own computer to do home hobby projects or other home work, but you can not use it in any class or course setup. That is explicitly mentioned in the license conditions.

- Your enthusiasm about LabVIEW is really refreshing. I share the same feelings, coming from an electrical engineering background, it struck me as the ideal way of expressing programming problems when I first encountered it 30 years ago. But don't expect many other people to feel the same right away, although if you teach in an electrical engineering place, where students are already familiar with electrical schemata, that percentage may be considerably higher.

- The entire exercise will likely hinge around one or more teachers, professors or instructors being enthusiastic about this endeavour. Preparing some course work shouldn't be extremely difficult. NI has various course materials, that while not directly usable in a normal class setup, may definitely give you a good guideline how to structure your own course. Before letting students do some real projects, you definitely want them to run through some sorts of LabVIEW Basic knowledge course. LabVIEW is pretty much unique in the world about expressing programming constructs. So it needs some getting used too. Even with my enthusiasm back then about having finally found the right tool that let me concentrate on solving the actual programming problems rather than having to worry about setting a semicolon at every end of a statement and using the right assignment operator, or spelling variable names correctly and all those other pesky textual programming details, I only really was able to start using LabVIEW effectively after attending 3 full days of the LabVIEW Basic course. And LabVIEW today is much much broader and has many more possibilities than it had 30 years ago in version 2.2.1 on a Mac II. 

- Then organizing a user group of some sorts at your school or place. I would try to be not too ambitious about that right away. Start small and adapt it to the IT facilities that your institution can provide. Then grow from there as the interest increases. You likely will want to first get some basic infrastructure going such as introductory courses to get the students familiar with the LabVIEW way. From there you can then start possibly regular meetings, with presentations, projects and discussions. Once you get a few students who are able and willing to present about topics they have worked on or researched for a particular project, you have a healthy base that can start running on its own without you driving it completely alone.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(707 Views)

Don't forget to mention this site as a resource!  It would be nice if we (as individuals) had access to this site.  I would probably end up patrolling the community, and maybe some others here might, as well.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(696 Views)

NI does have some resources under their center of excellence page.

https://education.ni.com/center-of-excellence

I flipped through some of the "User Groups" learning modules and they seemed like they might be helpful:

https://education.ni.com/center-of-excellence/resources/142/user-groups

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(651 Views)