LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create time-limited license for my application

Hi,

I have created an application for my client, but i would like to add in a function below into my software for license renew.

For example, after the application is used in a PC for one year, it will be locked and will ask user to renew the license, to activate the application again.

Is there anyway can create the time-limited license for my application?

My application is developed by LV 8.5.1.

I am appreciated for your feedback.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,839 Views)

LabVIEW does not provide such a feature for applications, you are creating with it.

So, it is your task to implement such a feature into you own application.

Licensing is always a tedious thing: It is restrictive and some kind of overhead, but does not securily prevent misuse... so you have to evaluate on your own what kind of licensing/activation you are using.

Some suggestions:

- Registry entry: Can be changed by anyone familiar with the registry, might be some sort of "date to expire".

- INI-File: If encoded, what about deleting this file?

- Activation tools like FlexLM: Worth the effort?

And never remember: What about the user changing the system time???

In short: You can put much effort with less result into this. So make sure that this is really wanted....

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,833 Views)

The Third Party Licensing & Activation Toolkit will do what you want, but you need LabVIEW 2010 or later.

There was even a NI-Week presentation: NIWeek Session: Creating a Software Evaluation for your Product in 10 minutes

Still, I agree with Norbert that an expiring licens is a very dumb idea. What if you go out of business? What if you are on vacation while their license expires? What is the system is on a space flight to Mars?

I would never install software that expires, because if it cannot be guaranteed that it will run a year from now I might as well not use it at all.  If NI would do the same, your LabVIEW 8.5 would have stopped working long ago. 😄

If you want to ensure that users upgrade to a new version, make sure to add new and exciting features. Offer service subscriptions, etc.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,815 Views)

Hi Norbert,

I agree with your statement. Your advice is is helpful. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,770 Views)

Hi Altenbach,

This Third Party Licensing & Activation Toolkit is really useful and user friendly. Sad that i do not have the Labview 2010 or later.

May I know can the Labview 2010 trial version support it?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,769 Views)