From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create sub-group or sub-channel in TDMS file?

Hello All,

I have been presented with a situation where I am required to log data that is arranged in a multi-level hierarchy.  My preferred method for data logging is the TDMS format, but it is unclear if I can log more than 2 levels of hierarchy with this option.  In the terminology of TDMS file, I would need to create "sub-groups" or "sub-channels" so that all of the data can still be arranged within the same parent group.  Is this type of data arrangement possible with a TDMS file?

Thanks,

GSinMN 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,162 Views)

My understanding is that TDMS files are set at 3 levels of hierarchy: File, Group, Channel.  You could probably name the groups to show a parent group such as "Parent:Group".

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,151 Views)

Hello crossrulz,

Thank you for your response.  I have attempted the method you suggested by passing the "channel name out" terminal on the write subVI to the "group name in" terminal of the next write subVI.  The data is indeed logged, just in a more flatten format than I would like.  Adapting a channel naming convention to simulate the hierarchy does appear to be the only option.

Thanks again, 

GSinMN       

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,146 Views)

So far TDMS file format has no direct support for arranging data as more than 3 layers.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,128 Views)

Hello Crossrulz !

Do labview have more set than 3 of hierarchy now in TDMS?

Available presently as

GrandParent(File name) -> Parents(Group name)-> Children(Channel name) -> GrandChildren(?). 

I want to 

GrandParent(File name) -> Parents(Group name)-> Children(Sub-Group name) -> GrandChildren(Channel Name). 

Is it possible in any way to present this hierarchy in TDMS file format?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,859 Views)

The TDMS standard (not just LabVIEW) is a 3 level hierarchy: File, Group, Channel.  You cannot have any more levels than that.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,848 Views)

Thank you Crossrulz for attention on it. !!!

Can you suggest me a way to present such hierarchy in tdms ?

Or It's Not At All Possible ?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,844 Views)

Other than the weird naming trick I mentioned above, I know of no way to do what you want with TDMS.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,841 Views)

Okay Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,839 Views)