LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Dynamic Variable in LabView (Newbie Java Developer)

Solved!
Go to solution

Guys,

This is my issue, I am a java & c++ developer and was interested in learning about LabView. But as simple as stated by the NI website it's not as trivial as I would expect it to be maybe because of my though process. So what I'm trying to obtain a simple sample to get me started with my LabView.

Example in Java lets say I prompt a user to enter a value the user enters the [value=20] & I would be able to create [value=20 new Objects] or what ever value the user enters. In LabView things doesn't seem to work that way. So I was hoping someone coulde provide a simple non trivial example so I can better understand how to apply this.

Thanks for you feedback

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,080 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author *E*

Hi *E*

I come from a Java background too so might be able to help. I've found that LabVIEW is less demanding upon the programmer to necessarily specify the capacity or number of variables being created during development and does a little more intuitively in the background. 

What data types are you interested in specifically? From your post I'd be tempted to use an 'Initialize Array' subVI and simply wire the user's input to the dimension size input.

In LabVIEW it's considered good practice to use wires in place of variables wherever possible because they emphasize the flow of data through the program.

Does this help a little?

Chris | Applications Engineer NIUK
Message 2 of 5
(3,056 Views)

The hardest jump I had to make was my thought process (I have c background) . I would suggest looking at examples (Help-> find examples) and guides on this website. If your still interested and want more look into going on labvew core 1 training course, run by NI. Also there are many articles and examples on this site that are of great value.

hope it helps you get started, let us know if we can help further tho

Please remember to accept any solutions and give kudos, Thanks

LV 8.6.1, LV2010,LV2011SP1, FPGA, Win7
Message 3 of 5
(3,049 Views)

I had a fair few languages before I started on LabVIEW. When starting any new language, it is not always appropriate to try to approach it you would a language you already know. As an example; my old university tutor was learning C++ and tried to implement his code as he would write it in MATLAB.

There are a lot fewer dataflow paradigm languages than functional, imperetive, procedural, etc. To help get started in LabVIEW, there is a pretty up to date course here: http://www.ni.com/gettingstarted/labviewbasics/

You can learn more by searching and reading the forums and community pages, and training too.

hicksc I agree that's why I am trying to learn it. Smiley Happy There wasn't any specific data type just a simple sample and what you provided was very helpful, that's exactly what I needed to get me started.

Akiel and Yenknip I also appreciate your feedback and information provided it will also assist me on my LabView journey.

Guys thanks for you quick response and support keep up the good work.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,998 Views)