LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Database programmatically

I know this question has appeared many times before, but I still couldn't find a good answer.

How can LabVIEW create-/connect to-/insert data to- a new data base runtime, when the old one is full (>10GB) and nobody is around to create a new data base manually using Windows tools?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,204 Views)
You'll definitely need to tell us more. Which database engine are you using? Most engines have a way to connect to the engine, without connecting to a specific database (or even WITH connecting to the old database), then running a sql script like CREATE DATABASE new_database_name; After that you activate that database as the current one. Mysql uses the "USE new_database_name" syntax, but others differ. After that create the tables, and you should be sorted. I don't think this is specifically a labview question as much as a database question.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,192 Views)

I'm using Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 with LabVIEW connectivity toolset. 

Thank you for your answer, at least now I know where to look for a solution. I'll dig a little deeper in the Microsoft SQL server documentation.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,182 Views)

The simplist ways are usually the best.  What I have done is to have an empty database stored on the machine and do a simple copy/re-name of the empty to the next active one.  It's much easier then trying to create a new one on the fly.  Of course you would need to do something with the orginal before copying the empty one.  I use local Access files and this may not apply to your situation (but it may be of help to others).

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,175 Views)

I'm a little confused why this is necessary.  In my many years of SQL Server admin, I have never seen a need for this.

SQL Server databases can grow well beyond 10 GB.  By default, database are created to grow automatically when the datafiles reach a certain point... they don't need to "fill up".  However, if you really wanted to prevent your DB from growng too big, I would prefer to build in some kind of routine for exporting old data and shrinking the database automatically, rather than creating a new empty database.

http://www.medicollector.com
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,080 Views)