From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting LabVIEW block diagram into flowchart

Hi,

I need to convert a LabVIEW block diagram(code) into a simple flowchart. The LabVIEW code is rather complicated algorithm to find a true peak from array obtained from an acquisition. I have two VIs(one is calling for a sub-VI). I can attach the VIs if needed.

Can you help?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(986 Views)

There is no way to just "convert" a block diagram to a flow chart.

If you understand how the program works then flow charting it should be relatively easy.

BTW: Most programmers make a flowchart of their program before they start programming

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(970 Views)

Are you requesting this because you have a hard time understanding the LabVIEW code and want someone else to translate it to a simpler flow chart that you can understand better?

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(955 Views)

I was hoping there is an easy way to reverse-engineer other people "spaghetti" LabVIEW code, but obviously there is no way.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(949 Views)

@tzantzai wrote:

I was hoping there is an easy way to reverse-engineer other people "spaghetti" LabVIEW code, but obviously there is no way.

Thanks.

Nope, sorry you are on your own here...

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(944 Views)

@tzantzai wrote:

It is easy to reverse-engineer well written LabVIEW code. It often very logically organized and is self-documenting.

Not so much for "spaghetti code". It's like asking to reverse-engineer a plate of spaghetti marinara back into grains of durum wheat and fresh tomatoes.

Still, what might seem like an intractable mess to some, could be quite easy to figure out for a LabVIEW programmer with decades of experience. Feel free to post it.

Also remember that the DFIR step of the LabVIEW compiler itself will internally deconstruct and simplify the diagram into a dependency graph that is much better organized, but that is not something that is exposed to the user. I am always amazed how gigantic and horribly written LabVIEW code still almost instantly compiles into perfectly running machine code. Amazing! 😄

Message 6 of 6
(933 Views)