From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting HP-BASIC code into Labview or Labwindows

I need some insight on as to whether I can use all my HP-Basic code in labview or labwindows and how? Can I create dlls and call them into labview or use the code itselg in LabWindows?
Any information will be appreciated.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,468 Views)
If you manage to create a DLL out of the code you can call it from either LabVIEW or LabWindows. Which one you use depends on which environment you like better:
    Graphical -> LabVIEW
    C-based -> LabWindows

In all likelyhood you will need to modify the original code in order to create a DLL out of it. You should search the NI site and these forums on using VB-based DLLs to be aware of any potential gotchas ahead of time.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,460 Views)
A very long time ago, there was a BASIC version of LabWindows.  You could not convert a Rocky Mountain BASIC program directly, but it was a fairly simple fit.  You could then translate that into C code automatically through LabWindows.  That was one of its selling points; you didn't have to lose all of that old BASIC code.  About 10 years ago, they decided to go with only a C version of LabWindows and renamed it LabWindows/CVI.  This change was made because most people who were converting from BASIC to C already had and supporting two languages and a translator was very expensive (cost, memory, processing power, complexity, - expensive in every way). 

If someone has an old version, you might have an upgrade path with your old code (no, I don't have any that old).  Otherwise, you could build DLLs and call them with either LabVIEW or LabWindows/CVI.  You could also recreate the code with the newer language.

Hope that this helps,
Bob Young
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,451 Views)