LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting HP-BASIC code into Labview or Labwindows

I need some insight on as to whether I can use all my HP-Basic code in labview or labwindows and how? Can I create dlls and call them into labview or use the code itselg in LabWindows?
Any information will be appreciated.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,471 Views)
If you manage to create a DLL out of the code you can call it from either LabVIEW or LabWindows. Which one you use depends on which environment you like better:
    Graphical -> LabVIEW
    C-based -> LabWindows

In all likelyhood you will need to modify the original code in order to create a DLL out of it. You should search the NI site and these forums on using VB-based DLLs to be aware of any potential gotchas ahead of time.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,463 Views)
A very long time ago, there was a BASIC version of LabWindows.  You could not convert a Rocky Mountain BASIC program directly, but it was a fairly simple fit.  You could then translate that into C code automatically through LabWindows.  That was one of its selling points; you didn't have to lose all of that old BASIC code.  About 10 years ago, they decided to go with only a C version of LabWindows and renamed it LabWindows/CVI.  This change was made because most people who were converting from BASIC to C already had and supporting two languages and a translator was very expensive (cost, memory, processing power, complexity, - expensive in every way). 

If someone has an old version, you might have an upgrade path with your old code (no, I don't have any that old).  Otherwise, you could build DLLs and call them with either LabVIEW or LabWindows/CVI.  You could also recreate the code with the newer language.

Hope that this helps,
Bob Young
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,454 Views)