LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controls (Modern and Silver) placing in front panel has different size in LV 2019.

Hello All,

Placing string, enum, path, DAQmx I/O, VISA controls (seems any control related to strings) from Modern or Solver in Front Panel (or using QuickDrop) the size appears to be different in LabVIEW version 2019. Monitor resolution: 2560 x 1440

For eg:

Till LabVIEW 2018: Height 25, Width:100

LabVIEW 2019: Height 36, Width 108

After talking to LabVIEW support they said it has something to do with the resolution of the monitor. Any idea how to resolve this issue.

Modern Controls LabVIEW 2018Modern Controls LabVIEW 2018

Modern Controls LabVIEW 2019Modern Controls LabVIEW 2019

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,614 Views)

@nik35324 wrote:

Hello All,

Placing string, enum, path, DAQmx I/O, VISA controls (seems any control related to strings) from Modern or Solver in Front Panel (or using QuickDrop) the size appears to be different in LabVIEW version 2019. Monitor resolution: 2560 x 1440

For eg:

Till LabVIEW 2018: Height 25, Width:100

LabVIEW 2019: Height 36, Width 108

After talking to LabVIEW support they said it has something to do with the resolution of the monitor. Any idea how to resolve this issue.

Modern Controls LabVIEW 2018Modern Controls LabVIEW 2018

Modern Controls LabVIEW 2019Modern Controls LabVIEW 2019

The resolution of your monitor doesn't have anything to do with this, unless you've changed it between LabVIEW installs.  Even then, the change in resolution would have to be great enough to trigger the operating system to choose a different scaling, which may indeed cause what you are seeing.

I've seen stuff like this happen when you enlarge the default font for whichever one is used for the value text.

So... what else happened to your computer in the between the time you shut down LabVIEW 2018 for the last time and started up LV 2019 for the first time, besides installing LV 2019?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,566 Views)

I'm guessing that the default Font has been changed for Front Panel Objects (which happens, particularly when VIs are moved from, say, a Desktop with a HumongaScreen to a Laptop with a smaller screen. you'll see the Font Selector (which on my Laptop says "15pt Application Font", and I'm guessing on yours says "20pt Application Font").  Open the Selector, click "Font Dialog", and you can set the Application Font Panel Default size to whatever you want.  This should change the size of those Controls (such as Numeric, String, etc.) that accept Text as inputs.

I don't know where this is documented.  I stumbled upon this behavior a while ago, and someone Wiser and Cooler than I clued me in.  Let us know if this helps with your situation ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,554 Views)

If you use symbolic fonts (application, system, dialog), they will adjust according to the windows display settings.. I always use defined fonts to eliminate these problems.

Also note that your labels seem to use a defined font, while the control contents use a symbolic font. Not good!

Go to your windows display settings. What is the font scaling? Set it to 100%.

altenbach_0-1589829548515.png

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,526 Views)

So... what else happened to your computer in the between the time you shut down LabVIEW 2018 for the last time and started up LV 2019 for the first time, besides installing LV 2019?

It was working well for a while. As @Bob_Schor pointed out, more than once connected via remote desktop with laptop (1440 x 900) and some point later it completely got messed up.

Even after reinstalling LV 2019 doesn't see any difference.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,486 Views)

which on my Laptop says "15pt Application Font", and I'm guessing on yours says "20pt Application Font"

On both Laptop and PC shows 15pt Application Font.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,484 Views)

Also note that your labels seem to use a defined font, while the control contents use a symbolic font. Not good!

I checked it both label and control contents are set to 15pt application font.

Go to your windows display settings. What is the font scaling? Set it to 100%.

Font scaling: 100%.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,478 Views)

Have you investigated the windows fonts scaling?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,474 Views)

Apologies for posting previous comments from another account.

Yes, i checked it. the windows font scaling is set to 100%

Window Scaling.png

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,470 Views)