From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling pressure regulator with labview

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello, 

I want to know if there is a way to control a digital air pressure regulator (such as festo's vppm led) by increasing/decreasing its voltage. I know that this i can do it with the use of a PLC but I would like to do it with labview and arduino as an A/D converter.

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(4,109 Views)

Hi bill,

I want to know if there is a way to control a digital air pressure regulator (such as festo's vppm led) by increasing/decreasing its voltage.

Yes.

We use those VPPM valves in our testbenches, too.

(It doesn't matter which device is generating the voltage signal, PLC or NI-DAQ.)

I would like to do it with labview and arduino as an A/D converter.

AFAIK the Arduino will only output upto 5V. The VPPM expects a voltage signal range of 0V - 10V.

We use NI DAQ hardware…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(4,089 Views)

Thanks for you reply, 

I know that the arduino can output only up to 5V, but using a relay for example 5-10V  i can work with 10 V. Am I right ? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(4,079 Views)

@canye23 wrote:

Thanks for you reply, 

I know that the arduino can output only up to 5V, but using a relay for example 5-10V  i can work with 10 V. Am I right ? 

With relay it should be quite possible.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Palanivel Thiruvenkadam | பழனிவேல் திருவெங்கடம்
LabVIEW™ Champion |Certified LabVIEW™ Architect |Certified TestStand Developer

Kidlin's Law -If you can write the problem down clearly then the matter is half solved.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(4,061 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author canye23

Hi bill,

using a relay for example 5-10V  i can work with 10 V. Am I right ? 

The VPPM valves expect an analogue input signal.

With a relay you can create a digital (on/off) signal.

I don't know if this is sufficient for your requirements - for my testbench requirements I use DAQ hardware with ±10V output range…

What about using a simple OpAmp to amplify the Arduino output voltage with a gain of 2?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(4,056 Views)

Relay allows you to do only ON/OF... so only two output available.

Use the PWM instead... but you will need a transistor instead with a power supply to the desired voltage.

Benoit

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(4,055 Views)

So with the OpAmp I can amplify the Arduino's output voltage to 10V. So then I want to increase/decrease this output voltage from 0 to 10V using LabView. I think that this is possible.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(4,046 Views)

Yes it is possible.

Benoit

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(4,039 Views)

With the arduino you will use the PWM... no need to have OAMP, but instead a transistor and preferably opto-coupler will be better.

Benoit

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(4,031 Views)

Hello , 

I have managed to do it by constructing a simple DAC and then by amplifying the signal with gain 2. Of course I lose in resolution but I guess that is the price I have to pay with arduino’s output. 

Thank you you all for your useful ideas 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(4,004 Views)