From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control Stepper motor using USB port

Hello,

I'm new to using LabView. I have started working on a project that involves designing a VI to control a stepper motor. The current setup has a motor and an interface  device [most probably similar to DAQ] which converts commands from their software through USB Comm port and interfaces to the motor. The company that manufactured the machine is no longer providing tech support as they have stopped the product line. The only resource I have is a manual to use the software. 

I have used LabView DAQ setup to control motor before but, in this case, I have no idea how to read and control the device through the USB. 

Brief description of the software:

The setup installs drivers to configure a comm port and the software has commands for the number of rotations,  speed, acceleration, the number of cycles [loops], delay and a reset to initial position. 

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to start or tackle the problem and build the VI to control the existing setup. 

Thank you.

PS. I don't know what is inside the box and I'm a beginner. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,890 Views)

Hi sudeep,

install the driver to enable this (virtual) COM port (aka serial port).

Once the driver is working you can use VISA to communicate with the device!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 2
(2,882 Views)