From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control Design and Simulation Module - installation problems

Solved!
Go to solution

Dear Everybody,

I am using Labview 2016 with Student License, my installed modules are Vision Acquisiton Software 17.1 and Vision Development Module 2016, running on Windows 7 SP1 (x64).

Yesterday I have tried to install Control Design and Simulation Module 2016, but the installer said 'Installation Summary - No software will be installed or removed' and the 'Next' button is grayed out. Regarding to the License Manager, I have a valid license. While using Labview I can use the Control & Simulation tools (PID, Simulation, Fuzzy Logic, Control Design).

I have to make a modbus simulation for an university project.

My problems: 

1) There is no match among the Labview examples for modbus simulator (also can not join to the NI server for more example programs).

2) I can not add an I/O to my computer in a blank project. 

As my teacher said I need Control and Simulation Module for modbus simulation I think there is something wrong with the installation process.

How can I list out all of the installed Labview modules?

Sorry if I miss something basic. 

Any help would be greeted.

Cheers,

Lajos

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,776 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author bulgakov

LabVIEW has a strict "Version order" when installing software -- if you have a newer version of the Software installed, you can not install an older version.  Your installation of VAS 17.1 means that you will not be able to install CDS 2016.

You have also "crossed" the boundary between LabVIEW 2016 (which did not use NIPM to handle installation) and LabVIEW 2017 (which does).  This makes the "safe, almost-guaranteed-to-work" fix more difficult.  The method that I've used (too many times!) to fix this type of problem is as follows:

• Remove all LabVIEW Modules, Toolkits, and Drivers (for all versions).
  • Install the oldest Version of LabVIEW that you plan to use.  Install all of the Modules, Toolkits, and Drivers for that Version that you plan to use. For best results, only install one Version of LabVIEW.
  • Reboot your PC. 
  • If you are offered Updates that have Version numbers higher than your current Version, I recommend that you do not install them.  I have experience doing a "Complete Removal/Reinstall" process that I'm describing when I allowed such an update.

If NIPM has been installed on your PC (because of a LabVIEW 2017 or higher component), the Complete Removal path is more complex.  I think NI may have a White Paper discussing this, and there is also a Post on this Forum that I wrote about how to safely remove LabVIEW 2018 -- I think if you search the Forum for Safely Remove LabVIEW 2018, you'll find it.

If you do choose to follow this path, when you re-install LabVIEW 2016, go ahead and specify the DCS during the initial Install step.  Don't forget the Reboot when the installation finishes.

If a new Version of LabVIEW is released, and you decide to migrate all your code to the new Version, it is generally "safe" to install the new Version (and all the Modules, Toolkits, and Drivers you need) "on top of" the old Version.  In some circumstances, opening the old Version will still work, but you are taking some chances.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,749 Views)

Dear Bob,

thank you very much for the complex advice. Since it will take more time than I thought, let me have a few days to try it and response.

Best regards,

Lajos

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,741 Views)

Dear Bob,

yesterday I succesfully installed Labview 2018 32-bit with 'Datalogging and Supervisory Control' and 'Control Design and Simulation' modules.

It is working.

Thank you very much for your help.

Cheers, 

Lajos

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,682 Views)

@bulgakov wrote:

yesterday I succesfully installed Labview 2018 32-bit with 'Datalogging and Supervisory Control' and 'Control Design and Simulation' modules.

It is working.

Thank you very much for your help.

Lajos,

I'm glad you got it to work.  Sometimes LabVIEW installation can be a bit tricky ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,676 Views)