LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continuous UDP Read

Hi,

I’m trying to write a simple application to read temperature data from the Heimann UDP 80x64 infrared sensor. According to their supplementary materials, sending the command ‘K’ should cause the camera to output a continuous stream of temperature data that I can then interpret. When trying to write out this code in LabVIEW, however, I have to ‘Write K,’ then ‘Read,’ over and over again to get each frame of data. If I simply write ‘K’ and then place the ‘UDP Read’ function inside the whole loop I get the ‘Stop’ command from the camera. Is there a way to get a UDP Continuous Read in LabVIEW? Similar to opening up a channel. 

I reached out to Heimann directly before posting on this forum, and they’ve never seen this behavior and are not familiar with LabVIEW. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(805 Views)

You obviously misunderstood something in the manufacturers documentation. As far as UDP itself goes there isn’t anything that is a continuous UDP Read in comparison to a single UDP Read. Each UDP Read reads exactly one datagram and that’s it. How much data is put in a datagram is defined by the sender side and if it wants to put in more than 513 bytes or so there is no guarantee that it will make it through routers and tunnel protocols as UDP is not meant as reliable data transfer.

What you describe as Continuous UDP Read simply is the repeated call of UDP Read in a loop and if that doesn’t work for your device it has to do with the fact that this command K you send does not cause it to continously send out new datagrams.

Maybe you need to send another command first to set the device in continous mode, maybe append something to K or maybe the datagram containing multiple temperatures is already the data stream mentioned in the documentation!

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(748 Views)