cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continous monitor memory and cpu

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello everyone,

In my current project I have two producer loops and many consumers (Generate signals, logging, debugging, data transfer,...). I am using Queues to trigger the cases of my consumers and also send necessary data.

Usually only "Generate Signals" and "Logging" run continously and send messages (and graphs) to the main UI. SInce I have some trouble with memory allocation I want to include the CPU and Memory on the Debugging window in the main UI.

My strategy is to continously request these Values from my Debugging Consumer and send it to the Main UI (~1s intervall). Can this additional continous request cycle affect my Signal output or logging time, because I dont want to slow down the data aquisition in order to wait on  a message from the (secondary thread) "Debugging" Consumer. My PXI device has a Quad-Core and should handle multithreading, but I am still not sure if Labview handles it the same way.

Thanks for the help

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,081 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author s.h._tech

A 1 second interval for something that should take VERY little time should not affect any of your system.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,050 Views)

I thought as well.

Let me ask a more general question: In the case that the consumer may need more ressources (some complex calculation for example), is there a way to prioritize certain threads? I dont want my continous measurements (~15 channels) to halt because some other thread is busy.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,043 Views)

If you are probably using subVIs and what not, you can mess around with the VI properties to put VIs into special thread pools and set priority.  I have yet to actually need to do this and it can actually cause issues if you are not careful.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 5
(2,032 Views)

Thanks for the help. If the calculation really does need too much ressources I will do the aquistion and calculation seperatly.

Since it is not clear yet if I need the calculation data as feedback for my output devices I will keep my program simple.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,018 Views)