From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting to a Device through Virtual Box

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all,

I am running LabVIEW 2015 in Windows 7 in a VM (Virtual Box) on an Ubuntu machine.  I would like to connect a USB-DAQ device but I seem to be coming up with an error on connection that is not allowing me to work with the device in the VM.  The error in MAX is -88705 and it says "The specified device is not present or is not active in the system...".  Any thoughts as to what I need to do to get this to work properly?

Cheers, cirrus

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,121 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author cirrusio

Never mind - just realized that this is a two step process to add the device.  You have to select the USB input twice to get the device to properly show up in the VM.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,111 Views)

So I'm running Windows 7 Pro (x64) and a VMWare WorkStation VM with Windows 10 (x64), LabVIEW 2015 and 2016 (32-bit).  I plugged a USB-6009 into my PC and started the VM.  There's an option that lists Removable Devices on the Host and VM, and the USB-6009 showed up, connected to the Host.  I said "Disconnect and connect to the VM:".  It make the Happy USB noises and started a very long Setup (like 4-5 minutes with about 3-5% on the Progress Bar, not moving), then Setup started to work and it completed.  Opened MAX, there's my USB-6009, on which I ran a Test Panel.  Ooh, Snagit can even capture my VM screen, so let me take a screen shot ...

6009 on VM.png6009 Test Panel on VM.png

So it is possible ...  

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,106 Views)

Hi Matt.  A couple of thoughts.  Sorry if this is rudimentary, trying to be thorough.

1) Is the Oracle USB extension installed on the host?

2) Does the USB-DAQ device appear in the Devices->USB Devices pull down at the top of the guest window?

3) Host permission errors? usb_setup

Matt

Message 4 of 8
(5,105 Views)

Thanks, Matt and Bob.  As it turns out, it was just a two step process.  And, this actually makes sense if you watch how Windows mounts these devices when you plug them in.  On Oracle's Virtual Box, you would select Devices>USB and then the device you want to mount.  You will see Windows handling the mounting in the bottom corner.  If the mount was successful, you once again go to that menu item and see that the device name has now changed and you select it again.  You will then find that it has a check mark next to it to indicate that the device is properly mounted.  This process takes only about 30 seconds.

cirrus

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,102 Views)

Hey Bob,

This is tangential, but why are you running a Windows 7 VM on Windows 10; the underlying OS's are pretty similar, no?

cirrus

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,100 Views)

No, you have it backwards.  At work, only Windows 7 are "approved" for the OS that is on the "iron" (or "silicon").  If I want to run Windows 10 (for example, for testing purposes, or to see how I like it), I need to run it (Windows 10) in a VM.  So my "Virtual" system is Windows 10 + LabVIEW 2016, and my "Physical" system is Windows 7 + LabVIEW 2012, 2014, 2015, and 2016.

BS

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,081 Views)

OK...gotcha.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,069 Views)