From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting my-rio to PC through router network

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I am wondering if I can connect my-rio to the PC (without adding wireless adapter to the PC) through my router network. In other words, If I connect my-rio to the router wireless network, and the PC is connected to the same network through ethernet, can I control my-rio (send/receive commands) through the internet?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,213 Views)

That's a lot of different questions.

Can you connect the myRIO to your PC over your router?  Yes, assuming they're on the same network.  The subnet mask is key here.

Can you send commands via the internet?  This requires communication that crosses the internet.  That likely requires building a web service or tcp/udp style communication path.  It will take a little work.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,201 Views)

Thanks,

Actually I tried to make the first scenario, by configuring my-rio settings and connecting to the network, and then take the IP address to the labview project and assign it to my rio there. But the connection is not sucessful. Do you think I am doing the right procdure?

Note: The PC is connected to the network through an ethernet cable and not through the wifi.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,179 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Cowboy12

In a typical sceanrio, LAN and WIFI are bridged and part of the same subnet. There is no functional difference and there is no routing involved.

Once routing is involved, .i.e. if the two device are on different subnets, there can be complications. First we need to distiguish between plain old routing and NAT routing (as typically found in consumer devices).

For classic routing (assuming that all intermediary routers have appropriate routing tables), the only Issue are firewall policies. The routers neeed to allow the trafic and the endpoints (your windows computer and the MyRIO) need to allow connections to/from other subnets. Most often, they only allow local connections by default for security reasons.

For NAT routing, the LAN subnet is invisible from the public internet. The entire network only has (typically) one public IP address. The NAT router keeps track of a NAT table which remembers the local IP of outging requests (e.g. if you are browsing the web) and thus knows where to sent the replies incoming from the internet, editing the packet headers and pushing them to the LAN side. This only works for ougting connections initiated from the LAN. If the connection originates from the outside, all thats visible is the public IP of the router. In order to run a service on a LAN computer, the router needs to know about it. That's what port forwarding rules are all about. Typically you need to manually configure the router, but certain special applcations can also create automatic forwarding rules (either by the router via an ALG or by the client via UPNP).

In summary, you need to deal with two seperate issues:

• Make sure the packets can find their way to the destination (routing, nat, etc)
  • Make sure the packets are allowed to make that trip (firewall policies).

Can you ping the MyRIO? What is the IP address of the MyRIO?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,162 Views)

Thanks. I resolved the problem. Actually it was the university that blocks connecting my rio to the wireless network.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,107 Views)

What was the found solution to this problem? I am running into the same issue.

Josh

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,884 Views)

@Josh_Roulow wrote:

What was the found solution to this problem? I am running into the same issue.

You are replying to an old question that is already marked as solved.

The original post was just a question, not even a problem, so your issue is probably different.

Please start a new thread and explain in detail what you tried so far and what you saw.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,859 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,853 Views)