From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting a pump over rs232 for real time control

Solved!
Go to solution
Exactly, same comment as above. All you have to do is follow the instructions we've already given you, using commands from the "new" (correct) manual. Go back to my earlier post and put in the rate/diameter/whatever commands you used with whatever terminal program.
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 46
(3,531 Views)
ok i got labview and the pump to sync up. however, after labview sends the RUN command, the pump runs at whatever rate it was set to before entering remote mode. The buffer reads this rate on teh computer screen but changes in the dial have no effect on the pump.
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 46
(3,516 Views)
scratch that,  I got it to work!
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 46
(3,514 Views)

the program works however there are a few bugs:

1. When the program starts the pump begins flashing "out of range" on its screen, however this does not affect the changing of the rate. it does change when i turn the dial.  I thinkhowever this means that the pump is not receiving the actual signal to beign pumping at the new rate, which leads to bug 2:

2. While the rate can be set by the computer, the pump does not achieve this rate until i stop the labview script. so it does change the rate on the display however the pumping rate does not shift. 

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 46
(3,500 Views)
Can't really comment unless I see some code. Please upload what program you ended up with.
0 Kudos
Message 25 of 46
(3,488 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 26 of 46
(3,487 Views)
Based on the manual, the command to set the flow rate is ULM number. In your first command you are sending just ULM with no number. I'd guess you have to send some number.
Message Edited by smercurio_fc on 07-14-2009 04:47 PM
0 Kudos
Message 27 of 46
(3,483 Views)
oh, i was under the impression the number came from the dial.
0 Kudos
Message 28 of 46
(3,479 Views)
I'm referring to the very first command that is being sent inside the loop. That has no number being fed to it. You probably want that "UML" on the left to be "UML 0", or something.
Message Edited by smercurio_fc on 07-14-2009 05:19 PM
0 Kudos
Message 29 of 46
(3,468 Views)

Could writing that command without sending a number be a way to query the current value in the instrument without changing it?  Because it looks like you want to read the current value, compare it to the dial setting, and only write out a new value if it is different.

However, your VISA read makes no sense.  You have a blue wire connecting the VISA write to the VISA read.  The output of VISA write is # of bytes written.  You feed that value into the VISA read input which means # of bytes to read.  I really doubt that you want to read exactly the number of bytes you have written out.  If you try to do that, you are probably either getting a timeout because the # of bytes returned are less than what you are asking for.  Or getting an incomplete message because there are more bytes being returned than what you are asking for.

As Smercurio said, take a look at the syntax for what you are trying to do with that first command, and look up in the manual for what the response should be that you are looking for in the VISA read as I don't think you have that wired up properly.

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 46
(3,462 Views)