LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure FPGA reference- add a control

Hi,

I have an FPGA which contains many FP controls as well as other communication items.  I am using a dynamic reference to access the FPGA.  I have several smaller Type Def'd references which I use in SUbVI's.  Initially I created these using the 'Configure FPGA Reference' dialogue, I imported from the FPGA VI and removed the controls i did not want.  So far so good.  Now I find I need to add another control from the FPGA to one of my Type Def'd references.  I cannot do this from the same dialogue.  It seems that to get one more control I must import the entire FPGA again, and delete the unwanted items.   I am sure there must be a better way, can anybody suggest how I should be doing this?  I am using LV2012 SP1.

Thanks,

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,938 Views)
Hi.
I have not yet found a good solution. I have found a slightly improved method, create a dummy foga vi with the controls I want and import from this. It is ok but not ideal. Is there a technical reason we cant just add conrtols to the list in the configuration dialogue without this extra step?
Michael
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,907 Views)

Hi Michael,

I am James Kent and I am an Applications Engineer at National Instruments and I hope that I can help you with your service request. Is it possible you are able to reply with your code attached so that I can take a look at it.

Best Regards,

James Kent

James Kent | Applications Engineer | National Instruments UK & Ireland
w: uk.ni.com | ireland.ni.com
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,889 Views)

Hi James,

Thanks for the reply.  I think this may be one for the ideas exchange or you may tell me it is not possible for technical reasons.  It is not something I can usefully attach because the issue is with the configuration dialogue rather than the code.

This is the sequence:

1. Create an FPGA vi with 4 controls

2. Create a new FPGA control

3. Make this a type def. (optional)

4. Right click the control, select 'configure fpga reference'

5. Import from your fpga vi

6. This control will be used for a subVI connected to a dynamic reference, you don't need all of the controls so delete 2 of them.

7. Later in development you find the reference need another control from the FPGA, you right click to configure the reference..... But wait.. how can I add one more control?  I have to import the entire VI again!  here is the problem.

I have many type def references, and my main fpga has close to 60 controls.  I just need to be able to select the controls from the main FPGA which I want to import.  Con you imagine if tomorrow I need to add another control to all of my type defs again? It is a non-trivial task. 

I hope you understand the problem, and if I am making life difficult for myself you can put me straight.

Thanks

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,878 Views)

Hi Michael,

From my own investigation of the issue and from talking to some of my colleagues we believe that the way you are currently doing it is the correct method of adding an extra control from the FPGA VI. You need to re-import the whole FPGA to get that reference as you have discussed previously. I have unfortunately not been able to find a way of doing it in the way as you have described.

Best Regards,

James Kent

James Kent | Applications Engineer | National Instruments UK & Ireland
w: uk.ni.com | ireland.ni.com
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,847 Views)