From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Composite Video Input from USB Using Labview

I have two cameras that have composite video and/or s-video output. I do not want to by an expensive USB camera, so I use a USB converter to hook up to my computer for usb input. I already am able to record videos from the usb using Cyberlink Power Director. However, I want to begin recording video from the two cameras at the same time, so I was hoping I could use LabView for that. However, I am not sure how to process composite video using LabView. Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,006 Views)

Hi nrfowl,

What format does the video come in from the USB converter?

Are you cameras Direct Show compliant?

Best Regards,

Bryan H.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,972 Views)

Hi Bryan

I'm interested in the answer to this one. Assuming I have a directshow-compliant device, what is the procedure/strategy for capturing/displaying the video signal in Labview ?

thanks,

Michael 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,919 Views)

Hi Michael,

There is the NI-IMAQ for USB Cameras driver that allows you to use USB cameras with LabVIEW.  Keep in mind that this was developed for students and academia. It was not meant to be used for high performance industrial applications. 

Best Regards,

Bryan H.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,893 Views)

Thanks Bryan

I have a client who has an existing camera that feeds composite video to an existing recorder. He asked if I could use Labview to interface with a video capture card to display the video within his labview app.

I wil look at the usb link provided for future interest, but it doesn't apply to my immediate need.

My question is what formats/standards does the video capture card need to meet for labview to talk to it ?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,866 Views)

Hello Bryan,

If your client is using a third-party video capture card already, he would need the DLLs necessary to communicate with the card if he wants to use LabVIEW. If he purchases one of our analog framegrabber boards, on the other hand, the driver necessary to communciate with the board through LabVIEW will be provided. 

An example of such a board is the 1405: http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/14209 . As you can see in the 'Specifications' section, it supports CCIR, NTSC, PAL and RS-170 formats. Thus, as long as the composite video satisfies one of these formats, this card should work.

I hope this helps. 

Vivek Nath
National Instruments
Applications Engineer

Machine Vision
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,831 Views)