From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comparing NaN constant(s) with buggy results!!

Solved!
Go to solution

Hey NI Forum people!

I know I should be very carefull when making comparisons on floating point numbers due to rounding and representation issues.

That said, I got completely caught off guard when I wanted a 'true' boolean if a number was NOT equal to 'NaN'.. I wasn't thinking about it too much, just slinging wires for a quick conditional for loop terminal for some testing I was doing in a temporary VI, and implemented this with a 'not equal to' primitive (instead of the 'Not a Number/path/refnum' primitive.

The result caught me by surprise, and when I dug into it, it became even weirder... turns out comparing a single constant to itself will yield unexpected results too!! 

Is this how it has always been or is this NEW in LV 2015?? 

I included an LV 2011 version if anyone wants to try on an older version.. I ran this on a Windows 7 PC.

snippet.pngfront panel.png

QFang
-------------
CLD LabVIEW 7.1 to 2016
Message 1 of 13
(6,268 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author QFang

Whilst it might not make sense, it is documented behaviour though.

Documentation:

Equal? Function
If you compare two inputs with the value not a number, NaN, or one input with the value NaN to an input with another value, this function always returns FALSE. Use the Not a Number/Path/Refnum? function to compare one or more inputs with a value of NaN.

(same applies to Not Equal?)

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
Message 2 of 13
(6,262 Views)

Damn, you know, checking the documentation for THAT primitive just honestly didn't cross my mind... I "knew" very well what it was doing.. or so I thought!

QFang
-------------
CLD LabVIEW 7.1 to 2016
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(6,255 Views)

There's a forum topic on here somewhere about caveats to LabVIEW that some people could get tripped up by, but I can't seem to find it... I think Jack Dunaway started it.

Anyways, this was posted in there a while ago.

Here's an NI page about it at least.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(6,251 Views)

Isn't this part of the IEEE 754 floating point standard? There is a binary representation for NaN, and then the second part of the definition is that Value != Value if and only if Value == NaN. With C-code I often use Value != Value to check for NaN.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(6,214 Views)

@shansen1 wrote:

Isn't this part of the IEEE 754 floating point standard

Yes. Since the original source is frustratingly behind a paywall, here's a link that discusses this issue: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_floating_point

@James.M wrote:

There's a forum topic on here somewhere about caveats to LabVIEW that some people could get tripped up by

http://forums.ni.com/t5/BreakPoint/LabVIEW-Minutiae-that-may-bite-you-someday/m-p/1122234/highlight/...

Message 6 of 13
(6,183 Views)

There it is! Thanks.

(I swear, you must have a script that pings you every time your name is mentioned...)

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(6,179 Views)

@James.M wrote:

(I swear, you must have a script that pings you every time your name is mentioned...)

The forums allow you to configure a search subscription, which should do this if your name is unique enough. Haven't tried it myself. Maybe I'll try it now, but I expect I will mainly get noise from threads I participate in.

And the fact that some of us would need to subscribe to many mis-spellings of our name, Hooovahh, hoovah, hooovah, hoovahh, then there are our actual names.  Sounds like a lot of work, just read every post on the forums instead. 

Message 9 of 13
(6,148 Views)

Hey, that's neat! Looks like the following query works for me. It even shows a post from Bob Schor that I missed where he called me out a while ago.

james.morris OR jamesmorris OR "james morris" -"James.Morris wrote"

I expect "tst" will show up everywhere. And yeah, Hooovahhhhhh is easy to get wrong when summoning you...

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(6,137 Views)