LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combined installer

I have multiple projects, each with 1 or more installer build specs.  The first issue is that each one pulls in the entire LV Runtime and takes up almost 250MB.  Can the LV Runtime be separated into a standalone installer?  For example:

• Remove all Additional Installers from each user installer build script
  • Create a 'Base' installer with just the runtime as an additional installer but no source
  • Install the base installer before any other user installer

And that brings me to my second question:

Can App Builder generate an single installer containing all of my installers from multiple projects?  This would greatly help both installation ease and 'system' level versioning by preventing the possibility of a non-coordinated installation (Or incomplete).

Thanks,

XL600

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,861 Views)

Yes, you can do your first three bullets with the built in installer, but I'd recommend InnoSetup for it. It's much easier to deal with. 

You can generate  a single installer with the (rather obscure)  NI Batch Installer Builder, it works pretty well. 

—Ben
Prevent your computer from sleeping programmatically!
Use Power Requests
Download from GitHub

Message 2 of 8
(2,841 Views)

I found it's rather easy to simply remove additional installers within the app builder and to create a runtime only installer so innoSetup (or WiX) isn't necessary.  But the batch installer looks really interesting.  I'm going to give it a try tomorrow.

Thanks!  I wish NI would just add that capability to the app builder... 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,796 Views)

Well, I gave the batch builder a try and am a little disappointed in the lack of ability to disable the automatic inclusion of the NI license when not including NI installers.  I want to combine my own installers (App builder created) but the way the batch builder operates assumes you're including NI installers.  When a batch installer build is run:

• It asks for the user and company names
  • It pops up a NI license screen and requests acceptance
  • It pops up a 'check for important updates' dialog
  • There's no versioning mechanism
  • It only works with NI installers, not with msi or other non-NI generated installers

Those reasons make it difficult to use for the purpose I need.  It would be a great way to generate custom feature sets of NI software though (Obviously designed for that very purpose).

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,774 Views)

That's actually a really good idea - batch installer. I think it might be beneficial to post it on the Idea Exchange with something like that. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,756 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,748 Views)

Very neat, I've never heard of the NI Batch Installer Builder.  Playing around with it, it seems useful, but has some odd limitations.  Like always prompting for a license seems like a strange choice.  Also not allowing for multiple setup options like "Minimum" or "Full" install selection.  Its clear this was a tool NI developed for themselves and then realized had some for others.

I've always used Inno setup, and ISTool, which work fine, but does take some learning, and a decent amount of configuring to get it to work well.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,738 Views)

Since you can add a Run executable after and even before an install, you can chain installers together.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,718 Views)