LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Channel Wire Behavior in Executable

I'm using LabVIEW 2016 and I have a producer/consumer architecture with several producer loops sending data to the consumer via channel wires.  One loop is reading voltages from an NI 9205, I'm using 7 channels total that are being read into an array.  The array and the error cluster for this producer loop are then sent to the consumer loop where they are displayed to the user.  In development mode all channels function as I would expect.  When I make an executable the first element of the array doesn't read.  It's connected to a pressure transducer but shows no response to stimulus.  Anyone run into a similar problem or have insight to what I may have over-looked?

Thanks.

LabVIEW 2016 - Windows 7

CLAD
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,548 Views)

Sounds like a hardware wiring issue to me.  Does the task work in MAX?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,524 Views)

A few suggestions:

1) Show us the code

2) Place an indicator for the problem channel (chart for example) ahead of the Channel Wire code

This would be a temporary measure to see if the data is OK before the CW stuff.

3) Try using the Remote Debugger - Operate -> Debug Application or Shared Library

(You have to set "Enable debugging" on the Advanced page of the build specification.)

steve

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the forum when you get help. Click the "Solution?" icon on the reply that answers your
question. Give "Kudos" to replies that help.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,509 Views)

It works fine in MAX and on the development machine, I only run into the issue when using the executable.

LabVIEW 2016 - Windows 7

CLAD
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,477 Views)

Your title suggests that you are "suspicious" of the behavior of (your) Channel Wires in your Executable.  I have been using Channel Wires for about two years, and have built numerous Executables using them, without any problems or issues.

I suspect you have a "bug" in your code, which is difficult (for me) to identify without seeing (and potentially running/building/modifying/testing) your code.  So don't send any pictures of Block Diagrams -- send actual VIs, or if it is in a larger LabVIEW Project, compress the Project Folder and attach the resulting .ZIP file.

Another technique which can help is to find a colleague with some knowledge of programming and walk through the code with her.  You'd be surprised how often the "Aha!  What was I thinking?" light bulb goes on.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,471 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

Your title suggests that you are "suspicious" of the behavior of (your) Channel Wires in your Executable.  I have been using Channel Wires for about two years, and have built numerous Executables using them, without any problems or issues.

I suspect you have a "bug" in your code, which is difficult (for me) to identify without seeing (and potentially running/building/modifying/testing) your code.  So don't send any pictures of Block Diagrams -- send actual VIs, or if it is in a larger LabVIEW Project, compress the Project Folder and attach the resulting .ZIP file.

Another technique which can help is to find a colleague with some knowledge of programming and walk through the code with her.  You'd be surprised how often the "Aha!  What was I thinking?" light bulb goes on.

Bob Schor

You don't know how many times I'm discussing an issue with a colleague and suddenly "OH!  Never mind, I got this."

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,465 Views)

I agree that this is probably a bug in your code. Since it hasn't been mentioned here yet, I would also recommend looking at the way you are referencing physical channels. For example, if you are hard coding channel names, then it is quite possible that, once you move out of the development environment, LabVIEW is unable to recognize the device channels because it is expecting a different naming scheme. This thread offers a better explanation of these kinds of issues and how to solve them.

Based on your description of the problem, I would be surprised if this is your particular issue, but it is definitely worth thinking about. As others have said, please provide VI's!

Best,

Duncan W.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,450 Views)

Thanks to everyone that has replied.  I know ultimately the easiest would be to post the code I'm a little reluctant because there are some shared variable in there that won't work and I'm not sure how work would feel about posting all of it so I may have to edit it heavily to post the code with the problem I'm dealing with.  

I did however go into the loop that is reading the array of voltage channels from the NI 9205 and feed an array control to the channel wire instead.  When I did this I did receive the feedback I would have expected from the first channel and it did respond to me manually changing the channel.  I went into max and confirmed again that channel 0 is reading.  I've attached two pictures showing the set-up of the task and the read from the NI 9205.

I should also mention the array manipulation worked in development and as an executable.

Thanks.

LabVIEW 2016 - Windows 7

CLAD
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,442 Views)

Since your code was able to recognize a control array, you are seeing the proper input in MAX, and it only breaks upon being ported as an executable, the problem is probably either in your configuration and use of the DAQmx task, or in building the executable.

Things to check to test task config:

Are you testing the input in MAX using the exact same configuration as your programmatically created task?

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I would not recommend explicitly defining channel names if you are planning to port your code to another machine. Unless you can guarantee that the 9205 on every computer will be called "VoltIn", then your code that is passing VoltIn/ai0:6 to the Create Task VI will likely break at some point.

Things to check to test executable:

Make sure your code contains nothing system-specific. This can include any reference that is explicitly defined. While these can be used effectively, you need to be very careful when using any hard-coded references or absolute paths across machines.

Is all of your software up-to-date on both machines? You may be experiencing some kind of conflict between DAQmx driver versions that is corrupting your read at times.

It will be hard to offer more specific advice without being able to run and inspect your code ourselves.

Duncan W.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,408 Views)

Duncan - Your point about explicit channel names is well taken.  I build the channel name to include the test station ID so for the third test station VoltIn becomes "TS3VoltIn."

I'm currently running through all of the available NI Updates now to see if that helps solve the problem.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

LabVIEW 2016 - Windows 7

CLAD
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,402 Views)