LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing the caption text of a strict type def.

I am making a GUI that uses a lot of digital indicators, and in order to keep the apperance of all of them consistent I've used a strict type def.

My problem is that I need to programmatically change the caption text of these strict refnums to display different units (mA, V, etc). Labview seems to only allow me to read the caption text of a strict refnum.

Does anyone know how to get this to work, or get around this?

Thanks, Steve.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,679 Views)
Steve,

I would suggest that you change the strict type def to a simple control. This will keep all of your customizations but allow you to change the caption. A strict type def is exactly that, and doesn't allow modifications to the appearance. A custom control will allow the DEVELOPER to modify the control once you place it, but will keep the appearance consistent.

This involves a trade-off. You will be able to modify the caption, but not be able to universally change the appearance of the controls. I believe that you can work with this tradeoff, as you are only looking to have consistency in your controls, not to be able to modify them on the fly.

However; if this compromise doesn't work, there is another option: Instead of using the captio
n, just place a string indicator next to your control and set the units that way.

There is also the option of actually using the internal units that are available through LabVIEW. I would be extremely careful with this option, as it cannot be done in a casual manner. Careful planning must take place when using units. However; since you appear to be still in the design phase, I think you are at a point where this option is still available.

Hope this helps,

-Mike
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,679 Views)
You can let the control as a non-strict typedef. When you need to make a change in the appearance of the control that you want to be applied to all instances, edit the control, make it strict, apply changes to all instances (they must be in memory), and revert to a non strict control to allow caption changes.

LabVIEW, C'est LabVIEW

Message 3 of 3
(2,679 Views)