Computer:

-Desktop PC with Windows 7 64-bit

- Labview 2015 (32-bit) with Vision Acquisition

- Labview 2014 (32-bit) with Vision Acquisition

- LabVIEW 2014 Real Time Module

- LINX 3.0

Raspberry:

-Pi 3 Model B

I am currently running a VI on my computer that acquires two Images and a Spectrogram and it's called "Image and Data.vi". This VI was created using Labview 2015, and has some specific Vision resources for the 2015 version on one of its SubVI's, including IMAQdx.

Recently I have learned I can't deploy an application on Raspberry Pi 3 using those Vision resources, so what I want to ask is:

How can I capture IMAGES on my raspberry PI using a Labview Application ? I have read something about OpenCV but I am not sure how this would work..

If you could be very thorough on your explanation, or show me some examples I would be very glad.

Thanks in advance,

Oscar

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(6,253 Views)

Hi,

NI-Vision Assistant is not supported in Raspiberry pi 2/3. If you require to use raspiberry in your application I recommend you to use just openCV in your application once it already has library for processing and acquisition. You can learn openCV in below link:

http://opencv.org/

If you require to use NI to develop a vision application embeded with LabVIEW, I recommend you to use myRIO, that has NI-Linux Real Time embeded.

Thanks in advance.

Lincoln

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(6,209 Views)

Wait, did you say there are Vision functions on myRio ? Or do I use myRio to combine both OpenCV and Labview?

Thanks a lot for answering,

Oscar

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(6,197 Views)

You can use LabVIEW and NI-Vision functions to acquiring and processing data from camera connected to myRIO. Because the NI-Vision software is supported on myRIO. In this case you don't need OpenCV.

Regards,

Lincoln

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(6,191 Views)

Oh, now I see ! MyRIO is  micro-controller and I was thinking it was a Toolkit, hahaha

So, since I can't afford to buy anything else I believe I'm going to use the OpenCV option.

Apparently I need to download a NI Vision OpenCV Utilities as read in: http://www.ni.com/white-paper/53072/en/

But I still have got a question: the white paper says it's recommended to have the 2015 Vision Acquisition, LabVIEW Real Time 2015 SP1 and Vision Development Module 2015 SP1 buuut LINX uses the 2014 version of Labview.. So which version of those Packages do you think I should install: 2014 or 2015?

Thanks Again for being so cooperative.

Oscar

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(6,180 Views)

Hi I came across your post as I have same question. I understand it’s 2 years old thread. By any chance were you able to achieve this, acquiring images from pi cam with LabVIEW and processing it. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,927 Views)

i want to do acquire pi camera on Labiew. is there any guide lines to get this done. 

thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,740 Views)

You can configure Raspberry Pi to act as an Camera IP server. It will then broadcast like an IP camera.

On the Windows side you can then run IP Camera utility which will create a 'webcam'. This is then availble in Max as a webcam.

Our Raspberry guy Google'd and downloaded that code.

I was able to get a live image in Max and in LabVIEW IMAQDx - open the CAM1 ref - and get a live image in LabVIEW.

Message 8 of 9
(3,025 Views)

Do you have please a guide line to do this ? I am struggeling now. What I already have is rasperry cam, myRio and LabVIEW. Any detailed guide lines will be appreciated

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,264 Views)