LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot set XY graph X-scale min/max when set to time

If I select the max or min scale marker value on an xy-graph with time as scale format, I cannot change the value if I select all digits/characters in the value, but it works if I select all but one character:

xy scale bug.gif

I have tested in LV2019, 2018 and 2015.

Older versions of "the application" using LV2012-runtime works, but unfortunately I have no source-code from that time. 

I also have an executable in LV2017 that this does not work in.

So, is this a feature that accidentally or for some reason was removed, or not regression-tested?

And how can I get it working again? The "scale range change" event will not even fire, since no change is detected. I can only think of very cumbersome ways to even try and implement this myself.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,182 Views)

Hi thols,

I use a similar feature in my software - and I always input time as "mm:ss" (that's what I defined at the graph scales). My graph scales are fine with this kind of input!

I use that software starting from LV2011 and moved to LV2017 now, and it behaves always the same (as far as I remember)…

I can input:

• "mm:ss"
  • change only "mm", but keep ":ss"
  • change just "m", but keep ":ss"
  • change only "ss", but keep "mm:"
  • change just "s", but keep "mm:"
  • type something like "m:s"
Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,138 Views)

Yes, the features you describe have been working like that since forever. But not the one I describe, to be able to input only mm when the format is mm:ss, or just hh when the format is hh:mm:ss.

Another feature I have been using is to enter just "mm:" or "hh::". But this doesn't always work. sometimes the scale updates, sometimes it doesn't, and I can't figure out why:

xy scale bug1.gif

At first in this clip, it looks like it works for a 1h diff bit not 2, but then it works with a 2h diff.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,119 Views)

I guess it always work if you do it through the property window? If so, do you need to use some Value change event to set the scale through a property yourself to work around it? 

Annoying for sure though. 😞

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,104 Views)

@Yamaeda wrote:

I guess it always work if you do it through the property window?If so, do you need to use some Value change event to set the scale through a property yourself to work around it? 

Annoying for sure though. 😞

/Y

Yamaeda, max/min can't be set in the property window.

The only event I can think of is mouse (double)-click. But then you need to check if the mouse was on the max or min, then detect what numbers are input. And it is not enough just to check key-presses, since the value could be pasted from the clipboard.

I think I will have to just live with it.

Message 5 of 5
(2,086 Views)