LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot self-test a device in MAX

My LabVIEW programs using a PCI-6602 open without error but won't run. In the past I have resolved similar problems by conducting device tests in MAX, but currently I can't click the self-test or test panels options. A similar problem is addressed in NI's digital support (link below), but the solution recommends resetting the device, which is also unclickable. Resetting the MAX database did not resolve the issue. Reinstalling the drivers for the 6602 devices did not resolve the issue. I have not tried reinstalling MAX because I have struggled to find the correct software online.

I also sometimes (but not always) get a "MAXKnownException" error when I open that program. I am running the latest version (17.0).

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/ED60A4D9F225452186257CFB0075A38F

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(3,628 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(3,569 Views)

I've physically removed my PCI devices from the computer with the intent to fully reinstall them, and found that they still appear in MAX under NI-DAQmx Device, even though they don't appear in the computer's device manager, and even after restart. The delete button for each device is clickable, but doesn't do anything.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the link you've shared appears to provide all of NI-DAQmx, the latest version of which (17.0) is incompatible with my version of LabVIEW (2010). I have already attempted to fully reinstall DAQmx with the latest compatible version, without effect, though I've since reverted some of my other attempts to address the issue so I may try again.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(3,562 Views)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the link you've shared appears to provide all of NI-DAQmx, the latest version of which (17.0) is incompatible with my version of LabVIEW (2010).

Yes, that's correct. See here: http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/53326

Latest DAQmx that's compatible with LabVIEW 2010 is DAQmx 9.9

Regards, Jens

Kudos are welcome...
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(3,554 Views)

I've reinstalled NI-DAQmx 9.9.0 (most recent compatible with LabVIEW 2010). If anything, it seems to have caused more problems with MAX, which has started throwing the MAXKnownException error again and freezes up when I try to look at the list of devices.

Now seeking to reinstall MAX specifically (as it is not part of DAQmx). I'm running MAX 17.0. It doesn't appear to be easily available online, or possibly it goes by a different name.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(3,537 Views)

I also can't find MAX in my CD copy of LabVIEW, though I may be looking in the wrong place.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(3,530 Views)

MAX is under "System Configuration"  .

5.6 was the last version to support LabVIEW 2010

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(3,526 Views)

When I attempt to uninstall MAX 17.0, I'm told that I will have to uninstall everything dependent on it, including LabVIEW. I can't install a lower version, because any package that includes one detects the presence of the newer version and doesn't install over it. Is there any way to change my MAX version without doing a full reinstall of almost all my NI products?

I can't find anything about system configuration packages being incompatible with older LabVIEW versions. This page (linked below) suggests that MAX should be installed with NI-DAQmx, and that my version (9.9) should come with MAX 5.6 - but as I said above, it won't overwrite the newer version already installed. The page also says "Higher versions of NI MAX will always support lower versions of NI-DAQmx." It doesn't include anything about MAX-LabVIEW compatibility, and implies all compatibility issues arise between LabVIEW and NI-DAQmx, and I've already checked that those match.

http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/53366/en/

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(3,507 Views)

I don't believe that uninstalling DAQmx would required you to also uninstall LabVIEW.  After all, you can install LabVIEW without installing DAQmx.

Take a look at this link.  http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/3C1276BB5C03A53986256EEE00569BFE

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(3,498 Views)

You're right, and I have uninstalled and reinstalled DAQmx several times, but MAX is not the same thing. It gets installed WITH DAQmx if you don't have it already, but uninstalling DAQmx does not uninstall MAX. Uninstalling MAX prompts me to uninstall LabVIEW, and doesn't give me an option not to do so.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(3,485 Views)