cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot RUN a vi

Solved!
Go to solution

Bildavid wrote:

I am having a problem while trying to run any vi on my PC. I cannot run any VI by hitting RUN . the only way i can run the vi is by hitting run continuously and it's not a normal way of running a vi . without specifying any Vi all VI's are the same . do i have a problem related to the installation of the labview ?? . 

Do you see the run button?

What exactly does/does not happen if you click it?

What happens if you enable execution highlighting and press the run button on the diagram window?

Is your ctrl key stuck? (e.g. pressing ctrl+run would just recompile without actually running)

Open any of the examples from the example finder. Do they show the same problem?

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(699 Views)

Dear Altenbach

Thank you for your time 

okay . when i open the examples they do not show the same problem . it is only in the VI's i create. and i see the run button but the problem is when i hit run it runs for 1 second and stops directly.

Thank you so much !

Bill David
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(687 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bildavid

@Bildavid wrote:

okay . when i open the examples they do not show the same problem . it is only in the VI's i create. and i see the run button but the problem is when i hit run it runs for 1 second and stops directly.

As has been said before, if your VIs don't contain an outer while loop, they will run the code exactly once and then stop. Your code is not very complicated and completes in the blink of an eye.

Why should the program start over from the beginning if the code does not say it should?

If you use "continuous run", it continuously re-runs the VI whenever it completes. This is a debugging tool, nothing more and should not be used for regular operations.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(685 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

@Bildavid wrote:

As has been said before, if your VIs don't contain an outer while loop, they will run the code exactly once and then stop. Your code is not very complicated and completes in the blink of an eye.

Why should the program start over from the beginning if the code does not say it should?

If you use "continuous run", it continuously re-runs the VI whenever it completes. This is a debugging tool, nothing more and sould not be used for regular operations.

I sure hope this isn't the answer.  Billdavid said in earlier posts that things were working fine before installing 8.5.  And after 154 posts on the forum, I sure hope he'd know the difference between the Run button and th Run Continuous button and know what a while loop is for.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(679 Views)

As i said in post #1. 🙂

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(655 Views)

@Yamaeda wrote:

As i said in post #1. 🙂

That's why I said "As has been said before ...". 😄

However, I felt that the message probably did not get through. (You did not mention an outer main loop, just some generic comment about loops and event structures, which do not necessarily solve the problem. A small FOR loop or an event structure with a timeout would not change much.)

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(640 Views)