LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Launch LabVIEW 2019 SP1 (Closing Itself?)

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm back with more obscure and head-scratching bugs again.  This time, I really don't think it's me just having too little understanding of LabVIEW.

Recently, we'd upgraded our LabVIEW development environment to 2019 SP1.  Our two latest applications were written in that, as opposed to our last two which were written in 2015.   The PCs that we develop our applications on and ultimately publish them to are disconnected from the internet, do not perform Windows Updates, and are basically not touched except to run the applications we ourselves write for them.

So when one day our new application freezes up near the end inexplicably, I head over to the machine with the source code to open it up in LabVIEW and debug it.  Except LabVIEW won't open.  Or, more accurately, you very briefly see the LabVIEW icon appear in the taskbar as its booting up, only for it to close itself down.  So far I've tried:

- restarting the PC

- Ensuring all NI-related Processes had been quit in Task manager

- A complete fresh re-install of all NI products, including ensuring the only LabVIEW version installed was 2019 SP1

- Wiping the cache as suggested here: https://lavag.org/topic/20291-help-labview-wont-start-even-after-reinstall-or-windows-restore/

- Everything in this article: https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000004AkvSAE&l=en-US

I'm at a loss.  I've tried to see if perhaps LabVIEW is exiting with an error code that I can somehow capture, but I can't seem to locate any error logs for LabVIEW specifically.  I even went so far as to launch LabVIEW with Windows Powershell to capture the exit code.  It's 0.  The time from when I run the first line to when the application closes itself is less than 5 seconds.

As always, all help is appreciated.  Probably going to submit an NI ticket for this one, too.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,320 Views)

I see you are executing a powershell script.  Is that how you were opening and discovered a problem?  Or were you opening it normally, like double clicking the icon, discovered the problem, then tried powershell as a troubleshooting step?

One thing you can try it to go to the LabVIEW .exe  directory.  and Rename your LabVIEW.ini file to something else.  Effectively deleting it, but basically saving it so that you can restore it back if you need to.

It's possible something in the LabVIEW.ini file is screwing up the load.  When LabVIEW.exe runs without a LabVIEW.ini file present, it will just create a new basic one.  If that one works, great.  Perhaps you can look at the old one and if there were any particular settings you put into that one, you can copy them over to the newly created one.  (Do it when LabVIEW is closed.)

Message 2 of 3
(1,316 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author maluigario

@RavensFan wrote:

I see you are executing a powershell script.  Is that how you were opening and discovered a problem?  Or were you opening it normally, like double clicking the icon, discovered the problem, then tried powershell as a troubleshooting step?

The latter was how I discovered the problem, the former was one method I was using to see if I LabVIEW was exiting with an error code.

So the solution was just as strange as the symptoms.  This PC uses a local license file generated by our IT department that typically expires every 4 months or so.  As it so happens, the license had expired.  In previous times, this issue would have just caused LabVIEW to pop up its normal "Hey, you're registration has expired, want to try the evaluation license for a week?"  Now, I don't know if the issue was the lack of license file, or the litany of other expired but still-installed local license files in NI License Manager, but I did two things:

1. Got a new license file from IT
  2. Went through NI License Manager and "uninstalled" every old license file.  (Some had been installed from a network drive rather than having been copied over to the PC; some were to license files that had just been deleted.  Any of this may have sparked an issue, I suppose.)

And that was it.  After doing those two things, LabVIEW opened normally.

Hopefully, my continued edge-case issues are helpful enough to keep someone else from spending several days working on something like this, too.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,265 Views)