From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you show Chinese in a Button?

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a machine that is fully developed and runs fine, but now it needs to go to China and they would like some of the buttons to be in Chinese. 

Can I send Chinese characters to a button?

Chinese.png

Thanks,

Doug

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(3,547 Views)

You need to format the font of the button to be a chinese font rather than a normal Windows font such as Tahoma.

Message 2 of 13
(3,537 Views)

Welcome to the LabVIEW and Unicode world!

Yes you can put chinese characters in a button.

Take a look at this (if you haven't already)

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-10153

Jorge
Message 3 of 13
(3,536 Views)

Hi nonecure,

Yes it is possible to do this, you will need to use Unicode. Here’s a link to a community example I think will help you. If you have any other questions about this, please let me know.

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-10153

Regards,

Daniel C

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 4 of 13
(3,529 Views)

This is one of those "I should have known that" moments.  I wanted to be able to show english and chinese in the same button.  I guess I would have to change both the text and font property node to make this work.

Is there a unicode type font that would display both?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(3,526 Views)

Yessir, there is

As written in the document I linked earlier:

Two specific fonts commonly available on Windows that include most Unicode characters are Arial Unicode MS and Lucida Sans Unicode.

Jorge
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(3,521 Views)

The Absolute Minimum Every Software Developer Absolutely, Positively Must Know About Unicode and Cha...

by Joel Spolsky

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 7 of 13
(3,519 Views)

I don't have the Arial Unicode MS font, am I missing something?  I do have the Lucida Sans Unicode, but it does not display any different.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(3,499 Views)

The button will not display chinese (or any special characters for that matter) by simply changing the font.

Unfortunately, there is a little more that has to be done to achieve this. Please read the link I sent you earlier. I will post an example soon enough.

Jorge
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(3,496 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author nonecure

Here's an example:

Jorge
Message 10 of 13
(3,490 Views)