LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't open AI VIs when logged in as a restricted user

I have a VI that does simultaneuos analog I/O (LabVIEW 6.1, Windows XP). This VI works fine when I am logged in as administrator, but when I try to run this VI from a restricted user account LabVIEW can't find the AI VIs (AI Config, Start, Clear and Read). All AO VIs can be found. I have changed the restricted user's permissions to the National Instruments folder to full control, as described in http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/BB393E7B361E939886256EFD007AC591 but I still can't run my VI.

Does anybody know how to solve this problem?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,527 Views)
Hello Carfo!

Do you still have the problem?

cheers.
Ashwani S.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments Sweden
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,470 Views)
Yes. My VI is used in education and I would prefer that the students could log in as restricted users. Now I have to let the students log in as administrators to be able to run the program.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,464 Views)

Hi Carfo,

Try this:

Complete the following steps to set up permission for the MAX\Data directory:
1) Browse to the C:\Program Files\National Instruments directory.
2) Right-click the MAX folder and select Properties.
3) Click the Security tab, and click the Add button. Type in the user name and click OK.
4) Give the user Read & Execute, List Folder Contents, and Read permissions.
5) Click Apply and then OK.

Please let me know if you have any more problems with this.

Ashwani S.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments Sweden
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,457 Views)

Thank you for your answer.

Unfortunately I can't try your solution on the computer where the problem occurred because it is used in another course for the moment and is therefore not available. But I tried to recreate the problem on another computer. I created a restricted account and when logged in on that account I opened my VI and it worked fine... (all subVI:s were found). By default, the restricted account had Read & Execute, List Folder Contents and Read permissions for the MAX folder. So, I then unchecked the Allow-boxes in an attempt to recreate the problem, but the VI still worked on the restricted account. Then I checked the Deny-boxes for the permissions mentioned above, but the VI still worked. Since I couldn't recreate the problem I don't know if your solution is the right one, but at least I can draw the conclusion that it is possible to run my VI from a restricted account. 🙂

But I will try your solution on the computer where the problem occurred when it is available and I will let you know whether the problem was solved or not.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,434 Views)