From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get an deployed executable to run on startup of RT hardware

I'm not new to Labview, but I'm new to RT, and I'm having trouble getting applications built using the Application Builder to automatically launch on startup of my RT hardware.  I was afraid the problem was in my actual application, so I made a very simple one (attached) that just writes a few strings to a text file.  After building the executable, embedding it on the RT target and rebooting the hardware, the VI does not seem to run.  It works fine if I target the RT hardware in the development system and run the VI.  I can also start the built executable on the target by calling it through VI Server. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or if I'm just misunderstanding how it's supposed to work. I'm building and deploying the executable by:
  1. Targeting the RT hardware
  2. Opening the Build Application screen from the Tools menu
  3. Selecting the correct top-level VI
  4. Making sure the "Set Target to Launch Application at Bootup" option is checked.
  5. Building the application
The EXE does seem to build correctly, and it is located in the proper directory on the remote machine (c:\ni-rt\startup\startup.exe).  I even checked that the LaunchAppAtBoot option in the ni-rt.ini file is set to True. It just doesn't seem to actualy launch when I restart the hardware.

This is under Labview 7.1.1 and a PXI-8186 controller.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,743 Views)
Hello,

One thing to keep in mind when running RT executables at startup on the target is that they will not give any indication on your host PC that they are running by default.  You will not see any window with front panel or block diagram on the host appear. 

In this case, the simplest verification test would be to examine the directory to which the application is set to write the text file and verify the existence/nonexistence of the file.  Another item to verify is your DIP switch settings on the target hardware itself.  NI RT targets have a 'No App' or similarly labelled switch that prevents startup executables from running for setup purposes - make sure that this switch is set to the OFF position.  What hardware are you using to run this executable? 

If you haven't yet taken a look at it, we have a useful KnowledgeBase article on the subject as well.
Cheers,

Matt Pollock
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,733 Views)
Found it.  It wasn't the hardware switch.  There's a BIOS setting that also disables the startup VI.  *sigh*

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,710 Views)