LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't access remote Citadel database

Hello,

I am logging to a remote Citadel database using LabVIEW DSC 7.1.  The logging process works fine... on the remote computer I can view the values being updated.

However, on my HMI computer (which is running the DSC tag engine), I cannot access the remote database.
First I tried from MAX:
- left pane: selected Historical Data >> Citadel 5 Universe
- right pain: selected Network >> "Remote1" >> "History_DB"  (where Remote1 is the remote computer name)
At this point, a yellow exclamation mark is overlaid on the database tree mini-icon.  However, I CAN right-click to Properties and it successfully obtains the correct properties, e.g. path, size, traces, etc.

OK, then I tried it in LabVIEW:
- used "Read Trace.vi" with the appropriate UNC path format (path format obtained with PTH_EncodeRemDir.vi)
Result:  Warning 56, "HIST_ReadNumericTraceCORE.vi, Query failed to complete within the timeout of 30 seconds."

The remote computer has Lookout 6.0 installed, so that means both computers have Citadel 5.0.

Does anybody know what the problem is?

Thanks,
David Moerman
TruView Technology Integration Ltd.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,199 Views)

Hello David,

Does it give any information the yellow exclamation mark? Can you check if the database folder in the remote1 computer has rights to be shared through the network.  Check all the security and permissions on that folder.

Hope this helps

Ricardo

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,182 Views)
There is no further information on the yellow exclamation mark that I can see.  However, if I right-click I can still get database parameters successfully as I mentioned..

I don't think that the security permissions are the problem.  Every folder shows full access for "Everyone".  Furthermore, I can access the "remote1" computer from my HMI computer using the same unc path format as I use in LabVIEW (i.e. //remote1/c/database/history), and I can delete database files remotely (I did this just to test the security, but I put them back again).  By the way, the network is just a Windows ad-hoc network.

Any other ideas?  Is this some kind of DCOM configuration problem?

Thanks,
-Dave
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,176 Views)

I've got the same problem with Labview DSC 8.01.

I can read the tracelist with TRACE LIST .VI. Buit I also get error Code 56 from READ TRACE.VI (HIST_ReadNumericTraceCORE.vi, Query failed to complete within the timeout of 30 seconds)

Do you solved your problem in the meantime?

Georg2

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,961 Views)
Georg2,

Can you provide a lot more specifics about your setup?

Are you trying to read from a remote citadel db or just locally?

If remotely, are both machines running LabVIEW 8.0.1?

Are the machines on the same subnet?

What does MAX show when you try to browse to the database -- if there are errors can you post screenshots?
Doug M
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
For those unfamiliar with NBC's The Office, my icon is NOT a picture of me 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,942 Views)

Hello Doug M

I try to read from a remote machine. Labview 8.0.1 has been installed on both systems which are connected to the same subnet.

I tried it with "Citadel 5 Universe"-item in MAX. The connection to the database is correct. But watching a trace with the trace-view function tolds me "no data". But I am absolutely shure that data at the watched trace is available, because I can see them on my application at the remote computer. I can see that the last  time stamp is always refreshed to a new value if I press "refresh properties.

Note: If I oppenend the database folder at "Citadel 5 Universe" a yellow call sign appears at the database folder. I don't know what it means.

Please have a look at the attachment file. There you can see my programmend vi and some screenshots.

This file I have already  send to NI support in Munich. They told me tomorrow morning, that they were not able to reproduce my failure.

Maybe it's a problem with the configuration of my remote-PC?

Thanks for your help

Georg2

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,930 Views)

Hello

I solved my own problem. If I deactivate XP-Firewall on my desktop-PC (remote pc operates with WIN2000) reading of remote database works fine.

After that I activate my firwall again, but remote reading is still running.

I have no explanation for this, but system is running now.

Thanks for your help

Georg2

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,923 Views)
I'm glad to know you solved your problem.  You may want to check out this KnowledgeBase entry.
Doug M
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
For those unfamiliar with NBC's The Office, my icon is NOT a picture of me 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,919 Views)