LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Query Keithley 2400 From LabView

A piece of production test equipment using a PXI-8840 grenaded itself, so I get the task of trying to replace it with a new system. The tester also uses a Keithley 2400 hooked up via GPIB. I can query the Keithley ID through NI MAX without difficulty, but when I try to do the same through LabView, it fails. I downloaded the "latest" drivers provided here on the 3rd party driver link. 

Sorry, I am pretty new to LabVIEW, but does anyone have any idea why a simple ID query would fail?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,312 Views)

Hi, 

Have you checked this out? This is an article that talks about how to programmatically retrieve the resource name of a VISA device. 

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019KfVSAU&l=en-US

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,274 Views)

LV2012 VISAwrc.png

Try using this simple VISA snippet.  Make sure on the front panel to select the instrument in the 'VISA resource name'.  Enter the following into the 'write buffer' including the return below as well.

*idn?

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,266 Views)

set VISA resource name to match what you see in NI MAX

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,264 Views)

Essentially, when you click on the 'VISA resource name' on the front panel, the options should appear.  Select your Keithley 2400 then.

If it helped - KUDOS
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,260 Views)

BTW: NI Max and LabVIEW cannot both communicate with the instrument at the same time.  Close the NI-Max communicate with Instrument windows for LabVIEW to operate properly.

If it helped - KUDOS
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,259 Views)

Thanks for the replies guys. I feel foolish: the DMM was just miss-named. I was getting a 1073807346 error. Changed it in NI-MAX and now it's working. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,246 Views)