LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i use the local network to connect my OSA to my computer?

Hello,

I heard that is possible connect an Agilent OSA ag86142B to LabView 8.6 in the computer by the network. Anybody knows something whether is ti correct or not?

If yes, could anybody give a clue how to do it?

Thanks,

Carlos Mayer

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(2,997 Views)

nobody??

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(2,974 Views)

Carlos-

There used to be a driver on the Agilent website that you could download. I just checked the website and couldn't find. Aparently it was plug and and play. You installed the drivers and the 86142B would appear in MAX under Miscellaneous VISA sources

I believe the driver came with some sample applications as well to help get you started  I tried searching google but no luck.

Bruno Noronha

Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer

Using LabVIEW 8.6
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,967 Views)
I don't know anything specifically about this instrument but there has been support in VISA for quite a while for Ethernet instruments. You start by going into MAX, right clicking on Devices and Interfaces, and selecting Create New>VISA TCP/IP Resource. Follow the directions from there. Once it is detected and listed, it will be available as a VISA resource in LabVIEW.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,961 Views)

Thanks very much, although i had already done the download of the driver, i could be more confident that i were doing the right thing and The tips about the MAX were very useful as well since i didn´t know these tools.

Now, im going to travel, and than i wont post here for a while, but i am still having some problems with the data acquisition and so i will ask foi more help if possible next week.

Thanks again, Carlos Mayer. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,947 Views)

Hello again,

So, like i have said, i am still having problems to get the data from de OSA by the network.

The problem is the following : i create a new TCP/IP resource, but when i try to run the vi, at the end of it,an error occurs saying basically " The protocol specified is invalid".

What does it mean? Has anybody ever had some problem similar to that?

Ah, another point is in the Device Status from MAX that it is written:  

VISA returned this static device when finding resources, and MAX could use VISA to parse the resource name. MAX could not succesfully open a VISA session to the device.

And, when i click the option " Troublesoot..." it says

Device Missing Functionality

This device may be missing some functionality. You may not experience any problems using this device if your application does not require the unavailable functionality.

Thanks in advance, Carlos Mayer.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,917 Views)
As I said, I have no specific experience with this instrument but when you created the TCP/IP resource in MAX, what type did you use? Was it VXI-11 or not? This is information that you need to get from the manual or vendor.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,909 Views)

Yes, i am using this type of TCP/PI : TCP/IP VXI-11 Instrument.

The main problem is that i can´t find a "Lan Device name" on the local subnet by the given browse.

But i am quite sure the computer and the OSA are correctly connected in the same newtwork since another software(in this computer) is able to connect by the network to the OSA.

Any idea about what it might be? Any clue will be very useful.

Thanks , Carlos Mayer.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,884 Views)
I had a quick look at the instrument's manual and it says that it is a SICL LAN instrument. It makes no mention of VXI-11 LAN. I have no idea what SICL LAN is. Myabe you should try the TCP/IP Raw Socket option. Maybe you should ask Agilent how to use it with LabVIEW. The programming manual mentions LabVIEW and it using it with "Agilent VISA/SICL client drivers".
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,878 Views)
           Yes, in fact what you said was correct, but i don´t know exaclty why, i searched again in the local network and on this time several options were avaiable.Now the connection appears to be correct.

But when i try to run a vi, it finds the device, but appears an error :  

"The interface associated with this session is not currently the controller in charge"

I have alreardy been to the MAX e the option " Device Enable" is selected.

Anybody know how to correct it?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,810 Views)