From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Labview read SYLK files

Hi!

I have a lot of SYLK-formatted files (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SYmbolic_LinK_(SYLK)). I need to convert these to simple text file format. Have someone here managed to load SYLK-files into Labview using the "Read from Speadsheet file"-function? I have search the forums but without any success.

Thanks in advance.

/Mattias

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,803 Views)

Hi Mattias,

you can open your SYLK files with excel and store it as a *.csv file. The CSV file can be simple read with the "Read from Spreadsheet file" function.

Is this an option for you, or do you want to write your own SYLK interpreter?

Mike

Message 2 of 6
(2,793 Views)

Thanks for your quick reply. You are fully right, one could open the file in Excel and save as *.csv. However, since my customer has 1000+ of these files I would like to automate this process. Smiley Happy I guess I will have to write my own code for transforming the file from slk into csv.

I will make sure they save into csv directly next time.

Regards, Mattias

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,778 Views)

Hi Mattias,

you can control Excel from LabView (via ActiveX).

So you don't need your own converter, just a small vi to control Excel - might be much less work Smiley Wink

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 4 of 6
(2,775 Views)

Excellent! Why didnt I think about that?! 🙂

Thank you!

/Mattias

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,769 Views)
Actually, in this case I think it will be cleaner to write a macro in Excel. You can convert the files from within Excel using the macro and then save them as .csv. It will likely run a whole lot faster than trying to automate Excel via ActiveX.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,757 Views)