LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can LabVIEW programs be opened in LabWindows and vice versa?

Is it possible to create a program in LabVIEW and then open the source code in LabWindows for refinement?  Also, can you write some code in LabWindows and then open the front panel in LabVIEW?  Is there any connection between these two programs or are they only able to be used seperately?  Must I develop my program in one or the other?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,588 Views)
You should use one or the other.

They are quite different beasts and there is little connection between LabVIEW and LabWindows.
LabVIEW is a graphical programming language using dataflow.
LabWindows is a classic text based programming environment.

I recommend you start with LabVIEW 🙂

Message 2 of 3
(2,581 Views)
In LabVIEW, the source code is the diagram.  It gets compiled into machine code, of course, but the diagram really is the code.  It is not converted to C and then to machine code. 

LabWindows  is C code.  C code is not a diagram.  However, there are tools for using LabWindows front panels in LabVIEW.  If you have already built something in LabWindows, you can convert the front panel to LabVIEW and call the code through a Call Library Node.  (In fact, I build all of my sparse enums this way Smiley Wink.)

Another thing you can do is to compile the code of either language into a DLL and call that DLL from either language.

I hope that this helps,
Bob
Message 3 of 3
(2,572 Views)