LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I have two control arrays (string or double) linked via a shared variable?

Can I have two control arrays (string or double) linked via a shared variable such that I can edit the values from either computer?  I have a second computer that is basically reading values off of our main DAQ computer, but in a few cases I need to be able to change the names, values or switch a boolean control. I need these controls to be remain controls on both computers, but I want the value that I type in on computer 1 to show up on computer 2 and vice-versa.  Is there a simple way to bind them?  I have tried creating a shared variable on both machines and binding them together but no luck.  Any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,321 Views)
You could poll the shared variable on each end, and if it is different to the control and the control has not been changed locally, update the local control via local variable.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,317 Views)
I had thought about using property nodes or local variables but it sounded messy, i figure there has to be a streamlined way to do it.  I will play around that route until such time someone offers a better possible solution.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,310 Views)
What's is the chance that both sides change the control at the same time to a different value? Do you need protection against that?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,296 Views)

It is very unlikely.  The second system is set up to run remotely when the main computer is being used for something else.  I had thought about using a boolean to allow the user to choose whether the settings are controlled locally or remotely, but ideally the two would be paired so we could go back and forth without having to remember to flip the switch. In short, near zero chance of a simultaneous change, though I would not be against programmatically protecting against that.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,292 Views)